LisaCGold

Wen Trimming

12 posts in this topic

My oranda, Jack, had a wen that was slowly covering his eyes. Over the years, he became less active as a result. I'm about to introduce a new buddy into his tank that is another oranda who is less than 1 year old. In order to avoid me having to hand feed Jack, I needed to trim his wen to give him a better chance of finding food quickly. Before I bought the new oranda, I searched for months for a veterinarian who would do wen surgery. No luck. This new oranda was the impetus for me to do the surgery myself.

Here is the video on Jack's wen surgery. I hope this is helpful for you should you decide to do wen surgery on your fish.

Excellent video and surgery. I'm afraid I have to do the same for mine since he has become more lethargic now that he can't see and sits at the bottom because of it. I'm glad there is a recent video to give me some more inspiration. Have you noticed if he's been more active since the surgery?

I was teetering towards allowing him to just be but I think the surgery will greatly improve his quality of life. Any confirmation on that?

Ouch this makes me glad mine have tiny wens.  

Very interesting video, also very impressive. :thumbs:  I stay away form wens, because I'm scared of having to do this.

Excellent video and surgery. I'm afraid I have to do the same for mine since he has become more lethargic now that he can't see and sits at the bottom because of it. I'm glad there is a recent video to give me some more inspiration. Have you noticed if he's been more active since the surgery?

I was teetering towards allowing him to just be but I think the surgery will greatly improve his quality of life. Any confirmation on that?

Yes! He has been more active - less bottom sitting and more active swimming. Even my husband has noticed this. One thing though - he still stays in a certain area of the tank instead of perusing all around. I'm hoping with the new fish he will venture out further.

Ouch this makes me glad mine have tiny wens.  

I bought this fish at Petsmart a couple of years ago. I thought his wen would stay relatively small in comparison to goldfish from a reputable breeder. Not so! Big wen.

Very interesting video, also very impressive. :thumbs:  I stay away form wens, because I'm scared of having to do this.

Thanks!

Yeah, I was really trying to avoid having to do this. I watched Helen's video on tumor removals. Also watched some videos on youtube about wen removal. I spent a lot of time thinking about how to do it. I wrote a document outlining everything I needed to do. I reviewed it with my husband. So on and so on. Over time, this built up my confidence on doing the trimming.

Wow nice job! Glad everything went well :) Make me feel better if I ever need to trim Lukas wen

Wow nice job! Glad everything went well :) Make me feel better if I ever need to trim Lukas wen

Thanks! I was surprised that it went as well as it did. I know the wen will grow back and I'll need to do this again.

Edited by LisaCGold

wow hun... that took some courage :)

wow hun... that took some courage :)

Yeah, it took a while to build up the courage. I went into the surgery without any doubt that I could do it. I was in a good place mentally and emotionally and that was great because it is a risky surgery because it is so close to the eye. I'm so glad I did it because Jack is more active.

Edited by LisaCGold

I dont think I could do that :scared