Kokos Goldfish Forum
Bertha

tank controls: need advice

I've had my tank set up for some time (originally had been home to an aquatic frog):  after much fiddling over many months and adjusting with carbonates, I switched the tank to Seachem's regulators system:  it's been a very good decision.  I also use Seachem's  Matrix in my filter.

The tank is 10g and I have one 'fancy':  I think it's a Fantail, but am not sure.  It does not have the 'humpy' appearance of what I understand Ryukins to have (?).  I am unable to afford a larger tank at this time; Miss Beatrice has been with us for about 6-8 months and, in general is doing nicely.  I think she has only one eye....both her eyes are black adn it's hard to tell.  I remember remarking this when I bought her, but clerk assured me it was just her markings.  I have no other fish (etc) in-tank with her....although sometday I'd like to get her a 'companion', when I can afford a bigger tank.  Advice?

I am looking for a general guide to : 

Ph, GH (KH not really needed since the phosphate-based regulators will throw it compoletley off), temp reange, Ammonia & Nitrite I know to be at zero.  Nitrates?

Lately, it's been very cold...at the moment it was -3 degrees when I got up and is now 17 degrees outside.

Miss Beatrice is acting "off'.....the past few mornings:  I thought I'd lost her this morning!  I realized tht the room where she is gets to about 60-maybe 62 degrees at night. 

Thinking this might be too cold (in contrast to what the local fish store claims). I slowly began adding warmer water to the tank during the pwc this morning.  I dug out an old heater made for small tanks (75 watts)....installed according to directions, and the tank is now about 72degress.  I have it set at the lowest mark possible.

Now I'm worried that the tank is too warm, and that it came up to 72 degrees too fast?

I also have question re: Nitrates.  Winter tends to mess with our tap water, which is our source.  Nitrates are showing at about 40-80. 

I use Prime in our tanks, which I find a terrific product.  Should I up the doseage and make small water changes more often (every few days, for instance) in order to bring down the Nitrates?

Last question:  finding quality food is a problem here.  I can not find any of the foods you list locally.  I am somewhat on a budget...so advice is appreciated.

Thank You!

Welcome to Kokos Bertha!!!! Someone will be along to help you.

:hi

Can you tell us which regulator products you use? Also please tell us the pH, KH, GH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels of your tank and tap water. Also please tell us what make/model of filter you have. :)

Petco is currently having their dollar per gallon sale. This is a great time to upgrade. For your current fish, I'd recommend a 20 gallon long tank. If you want to get her a friend sooner than later, I'd recommend a 40 gallon breeder tank.

As far as pH, it's more important that your pH is stable vs keeping it at a particular number. GF can tolerate a wide range of pH, assuming it stays there . . . You want both KH and GH to be a minimum of 100. Like you said ammonia and nitrite should be 0. I like to keep my nitrates below 20 but obviously if your tap is running higher than that, we will have to figure out what you can do to keep the nitrate as low as possible.

72 is not too warm and I doubt you raised the temp too quickly.

As far as food, what pet stores do you have around? Omega One is a quality food for a very reasonable price. :)

HI...

I just replied to your response (from my email, since it came through there):  should I re-iterate here?

As you can tell ~ I'm not very aquainted with how forums work; sorry if I take a while to bedcome acclimated!

Hi Bertha. Post on here please.

Ok...thanks.

I can't find the reply you sent earlier, but would like to know your thoughts about the problem!  Will it come to me here now?

Fantailfan1 responded on here.

Did you find it Bertha?

I have to leave for work for a few hours, so think I should repost the basics here....must be easier?

TANK today

pH   7.2-7.4

Nitrate   40

Ammonia   1.25

Nitrite    0

GH   107.4

Did about 10% water change (last was on 12.28.15) & treated with 2 mls Prime Conditioner, 1 ml Stability, 1 ml Replenish (gently raises GH) , 1 tsp Alkaline Regulator (to slightly raise the pH).  Rinsed the filter media bag.

Installed the heater.....BUT turned it off a few minutes ago as it was creeping close to 80degress (I don't know how high it should be for Fantail)

TAP TODAY

pH   7.6

Nitrate   0 (tested it twice to be sure)

Ammonia    1.25

Nitrite   0

KH   107.4

GH   35.8 - 53.7

Unable to move tank to a different location at thsi time, but will hope to get a larger tank in a few months.  My husband claimes the tank we use is 15 gallons, not 10...so that's somewhat better, I suppose.

Walmart = closest store.  Petco and PetSmart are abouyt an hour's drive. 

I have done online ordering before...so can add the recommended food to an outgoing order in about a week.

Miss Beatrice is doing better, with the warmer temp in her tank.  My biggest conern is adjusting and stabilizing all 'tank factors' for her;  I am not very conersant with the needs of a Fantail, as I was with the needs of an ACF.....but am ready to try whatever is recommended.  Miss Beatrice is really quite lovely and very friendly!

Hi Bertha. Hang in there and someone will help you.

TANK today

pH   7.2-7.4

Nitrate   40

Ammonia   1.25

Nitrite    0

GH   107.4

Did about 10% water change (last was on 12.28.15) & treated with 2 mls Prime Conditioner, 1 ml Stability, 1 ml Replenish (gently raises GH) , 1 tsp Alkaline Regulator (to slightly raise the pH).  Rinsed the filter media bag.

Installed the heater.....BUT turned it off a few minutes ago as it was creeping close to 80degress (I don't know how high it should be for Fantail)

Thank you for the information.  First, your pH is fine.  Nitrate needs to come down.  You do that with water changes.  We recommend keeping the nitrate below 20 ppm.  If you change half of the water in the tank you will cut the nitrate in half.  

Please read our guidelines.   You will see that we recommend a minimum of a 50% water change every week. 

Goldfish enjoy a wider temperature range than we do.  Like us, they like it somewhat cooler at night.  They don't need a heater.  If you don't need to wear your down parka in the house, it's warm enough for your fish. 

Ammonia and nitrite should read zero.  Both of these poison your fish.  I see from below that you have ammonia in your tap water.  A double dose of Prime every 48 hours will protect your fish.  Once your tank has fully cycled, the filter bacteria will use up the ammonia.

TAP TODAY

pH   7.6

Nitrate   0 (tested it twice to be sure)

Ammonia    1.25

Nitrite   0

KH   107.4

GH   35.8 - 53.7

Your tap and tank have similar pH.  Good.  I've already addressed the ammonia problem.

Unable to move tank to a different location at thsi time, but will hope to get a larger tank in a few months.  My husband claimes the tank we use is 15 gallons, not 10...so that's somewhat better, I suppose.

If you measure the length, width, and height of your tank, we can tell you the volume in gallons.

Walmart = closest store.  Petco and PetSmart are abouyt an hour's drive. 

I have done online ordering before...so can add the recommended food to an outgoing order in about a week.

Miss Beatrice is doing better, with the warmer temp in her tank.  My biggest conern is adjusting and stabilizing all 'tank factors' for her;  I am not very conersant with the needs of a Fantail, as I was with the needs of an ACF.....but am ready to try whatever is recommended.  Miss Beatrice is really quite lovely and very friendly!

What filter do you have for this tank?  How long has it been running?

What test kit do you use? What does the pH of your tank run if you don't use the ph regulator? What is the KH of your tank?

Sorry....I replied via email, but should have done so here.

Filter is aqua Tech 15.  The filter has been running ever since we acquired Miss Beatrice.....which I think is about 6-8 months ago.

From an article on your site, I see that I should use a larger filter, and will try to find one asap.  When I can get a larger tank tank, I'll just use that filter then and buy another one to use with it, to get the filtration needed.

PH varies, but in general I have soft water.  The change to Seachem Regulators was (orignally) to control pH problems in my ACF tank;  the use of the Regulators along with Replenish established a steady tank for her....I used the same changeover for the fish I then had, and have stayed with it ever since.  Without the Regulators, pH can vary from about 6.4-6.8 and spike to 7.4-7.6'ish' during different seasons. 

Hello!

You might consider checking craigslist in your area for a used tank. You can get quite a good price for a used tank.

Yes. I will begin looking as soon as possible. I understand that the present tank is not ideal for her. Meanwhile, though....I suppose my focus must be on improving the tank we have, and going from there.  Probably #1 will be to get another filter; what I have is apparently not sufficient!  And I've had good advice about better food to buy, too....although there are not many choices in the ara where I live.  I'll begin online search today.

When you get the new filter, put it in the tank along with the current filter.   Filter bacteria from the old filter will colonize the new filter. 

I believe the Petco dollar per gallon sale is on now.  I have never seen a used tank as cheap as that, but it might just be my area.  These sales occur roughly quarterly, so if you can't take advantage of this sale, you can use the one in the spring.

If you plan to keep just one fish, a 20 long will work fine.  If you want to get a friend for Miss Beatrice in the future, get a 40B.  Both of these tanks have good swimming area for their volume.  For goldfish, you should avoid tall tanks.

How big is Miss Beatrice now?  Can you at least estimate her standard (body only, no tail) length?  Also, could you measure the current tank so we can determine if it is a 10 or a 15?

I recommend one of two ways to handle variable tap water.  You can store your water in a large barrel (if you have space to put it).  Put an airstone in the barrel, and when you use water from the barrel for a water change, replace it with tap water.  You might add some baking soda to the water to stabilize the pH, but the water properties should "drift" in the same direction as the water in your tank.   Alternatively,  you can do small daily water changes.  10% daily  removes as much pollutants as does 50% weekly.  If you make a point of siphoning the bottom of your tank and emptying the dirty water from your filter(s) as part of that 10% of the water you change, it works even better. The fish have no problem with the tiny change in water properties you get with 10% water changes.   You can even combine the two methods.

There may be filters on craigslist. If so, you'll want to not use the media that comes with it.

I may  have another fiolter, which is not in use.  I'll check to see....that would be the ideal answer temporarily!

The present tank is 10.5"x12.5"x20", which I think is a 10g, not 15 as my husband thought?

Miss Beatrice measure 3/4" as my best guess:  hard to measure her on the move! that's from mouth to tail, but not including tail.

I will check craigslist for all....I didn't see the Petco closest to me having the sale, but know that they do have it more than once:  I will have towait until the next sale; part of the house is closed off for winter, and there tryuly is no place for the bigger tank for a few months. 

I don't mind doing small daily water changes:  for me, I think this will be easier than the barrel idea (although that's a wonderful indea to have on file!).  Whenever I do a water change, I always siphon the bottom...and frequently use my turkey baster to make sure I get under odd places.  I do not have gravel, but use the larger 'stones' instead or the glass 'jewels': both are way too big for a fish to swallow.  I don't cover the bottom...just a scattering on the tank floor.  I have no living plants (etc):  a few plastic plants which I check for any rough edges (etc) and a ceramic bridge she sometiems swims through.  Pretty simple.  I check all the plants for signs of algae (etc) on a regular basis.

Any other advice?

Dollar-per-gallon is weirdly hard to find on their website--at least it was for me--but here is the link. It's in-store only, though, and available in the lower 48. It seems to extend to the 23rd. I hope this is helpful! You probably will not find a better deal and won't have to worry nearly as much about cracks or latent diseases from used tanks. 

THANKS!  I appreciate it.