Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jenna Antonelli

My surprise fry

Im new here and wanted to share my lone fry baby :)

I never had the right combination of circumstances to breed my fish in the past. I actually had a very fertile female purple telescope, but never a male that could get the job done.

Well, I brought home two new little telescopes 9 months ago. The calico started chasing my large female ryukin after being introduced to the main tank. She released eggs but I figured the little calico tele was too young to fertilize the eggs. I did several water changes following the event, attempting to maintain good parameters after all the activity/mess. You can imagine how surprised I was to spot the tiniest little specks swimming behind one of the plants! 

Here is the video of my little calico doing his damndest to help her out ;)

In total I found 5 fry. After two weeks there were only two. I tried not to get my hopes up, knowing the odds of getting strong healthy formed fry was slim. 

0DNAqYB.png

They grew really nicely. The green one was always more voracious and a bit bigger. 

8ifl51o.png

Unfortunately the pinkie got an abrasion on its tiny nose. I treated with dips and very clean water. She looked to be responding nicely..and then I had to leave for vacation for 5 days...and in that time she passed. I had a feeling. She was just starting to show yellow colored spots and had a few tiny nacreous scales like mama. Oh well.

bc4bOJU.png

I pressed on with my last tough, green fry.! 

5XLUaOR.png

Im happy to say he continues to grow well! I began grooming him and his dad a few months ago. My fry doubled his weight and caught up to his dad in only 4 weeks! AND finally losing the green and going red/orange/white :)

Jd6SLso.png

Edited by JRambles312

Thanks for sharing! Nice photos. Sorry you lost your little orange and white one. The survivor is looking nice! 

Oh wow, just saw you post the parents pics. They're beautiful!

Beautiful Goldfish!!!!

Wow the parents are stunning and that fry is just  :wub:

Wow the parents are stunning and that fry is just  :wub:

I know! Right? Haha

I did research back when he was smaller, about color change and genetics. I wanted to know when he/ if he would change from "wild" green/bronze.

Source

"In recent decades a special sort of calico called 'kirin' has been developed.  Kirin offspring and traditional calico calico offspring tend to segregate differently.  As noted above, when two traditional calico goldfish are crossed, 50% of the offspring are calico, 25% are metallic and 25% are matt.  When two kirin are crossed there are fewer true metallic.  About 25% look metallic at first glance but many, if not most, have a few clear scales.  Likewise, about 25% appear matt at first glance but most have a few scattered metallic scales.  Kirin goldfish often have significantly more black than traditional calico.  The black can can be diffuse across most of the fish and it can occur in dense, distinct patches.  Kirin goldfish also tend to have more metallic scales interspersed with the clear scales.  But, the kirin characteristic does not breed true and many or most of the offspring will look more like traditional calico."