Kate89

Help please! Red streaky fins after maintenance fluke treatment, and now bottom-sitting ranchu

8 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I'm having trouble with my tank, I don't know what's going on and I feel really upset. I had a tank full of beautiful healthy fish before I moved house a few months ago, and since the move they've just not been right, it's been one thing after another. Yesterday I had to put my lovely ranchu, Crumpet, to sleep after ongoing non-resolving buoyancy issues, you can read his thread here http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/123093-ranchu-having-buoyancy-issues/.

The current issue is that whilst my chu was in qt I did a maintenance fluke treatment on the main tank as it hadn't been done since I moved house (I use Kusuri, flubendazole). The main tank at this time consisted of my big female oranda Matcha, my ryukin Jeremy, my fry Stephen (April spawn of oranda and ryukin), and a newly added little kirin ranchu that was added to the tank a few weeks ago after a 6 wk qt with the usual salt, Kusuri etc and no signs of ill health.

First 'round' of kusuri in the main tank I noticed some streaks in my ryukins tail and some little holes in the fry's fins, but otherwise nothing abnormal, I assumed they had a reasonably heavy fluke burden and so after 4 days did another 'round'. The morning after everyone apart from the new ranchu was sulking, my oranda had red streaky fins, as did my fry as far as I could tell with his colouring, and my ryukin was worst affected with very streaky tail and fins and has since developed tears in his tail which now seem to be resolving. This was a few days ago, and I've been adding melafix daily since to aid healing and prevent any secondary bacterial infection setting in. They soon perked up but everyone still has streaky fins. This morning they were all chasing round the tank, my female oranda was spawning. Here's my main concern; I've come home this evening to find my new ranchu bottom sitting, he frantically swims to eat when fed but then plops back to the bottom again, he was absolutely fine this morning, the others seem fine apart from my ryukin who seems a bit less active than usual. 

I tested the water and everything is zero, but the thing that concerns me is that my tank pH is about 8.2 whilst the tap is around 7.6... I did a 90% w/c yesterday... how could it have risen in the tank? Is this pH swing causing all my problems? 

Here's the form:

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) 0
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.2
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Master drops
      • * Water temperature? Around 20 degrees C, but has been fluctuating recently due to my heater breaking
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 60 US gallons, 2 yrs
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Fluval FX6
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? Weekly at least 80%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Yesterday 80-90%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 4; large oranda, large-ish ryukin, medium fry and small baby ranchu
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? API Stress Coat
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Mixture of soaked pellets (saki hikari and hiker lionhead) and gel food (repashey soilent green), and occasionally peas and FBW although not as much FBW recently as have run out
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? One ranchu approx 3 weeks ago
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Two rounds kusuri (flubendazole) and daily melafix over past few days, described above
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. As above. 
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Ryukins tail and fins covered in bloody streaks and frayed, body also appears reddened 
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Ranchu bottom sitting.

I'm really worried about these guys, I was devastated to lose Crumpet yesterday and I don't want to lose any more. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

IM so sorry your having problem's Kate. I hope everything gets better for you.

With such a large water change that pH difference becomes significant.  Try two 50% changes a week or even three 30% changes a week and see if that helps.

With such a large water change that pH difference becomes significant.  Try two 50% changes a week or even three 30% changes a week and see if that helps.

Thanks for the advice Sharon.

But how/why is the pH increasing to 8.2 in the tank?

Thanks for the advice Sharon.

But how/why is the pH increasing to 8.2 in the tank?

Something in the water like minerals and such is raising the PH... Some places that will happen. the other way to help with this is to fill jugs with water and let them sit for 24 hours before using it as a water change :)

Kate I've just seen this thread. I hope everyone perks up soon! :bighug It's hard when their usual balance seems so far off. 

Kate I've just seen this thread. I hope everyone perks up soon! :bighug It's hard when their usual balance seems so far off. 

Thanks Jenna :) Everyone is much perkier now... it must be the sudden ph change after a w/c... they're due a w/c but I'm scared of doing it now, which seems very counterintuitive to me! My immediate response whenever the fish weren't looking too great was to do a huge w/c, poor things I had no idea that was making them worse!! I'll have to do several smaller w/cs a week now, but I just don't know how I'm going to fit that in, I spend so much time at work now and on call, it's getting me down.

Thanks Jenna :) Everyone is much perkier now... it must be the sudden ph change after a w/c... they're due a w/c but I'm scared of doing it now, which seems very counterintuitive to me! My immediate response whenever the fish weren't looking too great was to do a huge w/c, poor things I had no idea that was making them worse!! I'll have to do several smaller w/cs a week now, but I just don't know how I'm going to fit that in, I spend so much time at work now and on call, it's getting me down.

what you can do is get a garbage can fill with the water let it sit and use a power head pump to do the water change for you :)