Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MT28

pectoral fin joint question

Hi Everyone!

I thought I'd ask this here before posting in D&D, since I tend to be overly paranoid about my fish. My 2.5 year old comet, Kaji, has been slowly but steadily turning white the last few months and I've been noticing the last few days that the joints right around his pectoral fins, right by his "armpit" are a dark pinkish color. Is this normal? I'm wondering if I never noticed it before because he was orange or if it's actually some kind of bruise or swelling. He doesn't appear to be in pain at all and is swimming normally and rapidly as ever. I've taken a couple pictures to illustrate, although they're not terribly clear. 

Thanks!

cc3d913b582a85ddb2747e7606f62659.jpgce1bdc8a65475fb5d287eb5a86cc8124.jpg

To me, that looks normal, & I do think that you are seeing it more as his color changes - I think that areas of white on fish are more transparent - here's a pic of Clownie that shows his pectorals (normal):

ClownieSearch5972_zpsgxz4fizj.jpg

Now, I did have several of my fish get sort of puffy, red pectorals, after doing some insane chasing & wallowing in the sand for hours - here's a pic for comparison (irritated):

ClownieSoreFin5356_zpsuavl5ox6.jpg

It seemed to be caused by overexertion, & went away on its own within 24 hours.

Shahbazin: This is really helpful. Thank you!

Kaji's joints definitely don't look bright red like in the second picture, and from the first pic it does seem like it's normal for white fish to have a little dark pink coloring near their joints.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease! I'm about to move seven hours away  with me, so I really wanted to make sure there was nothing wrong with him before the move.