Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
LouiseAnn

Ammonia, QT and a short holiday

14 posts in this topic

So I have some new fish. Big fish. About 22cm long, 15cm tall and 11cm wide fat ranchus.

In a 2ft QT tank. 50L

I leave tomorrow and will be back in 3 sleeps.

They will be without a wc for two days

Ammonia is currently at 0.50 I'll do a 100% tomorrow, then two days will pass, and another 100% the day I get back.

Will prime be sufficient to care for them over the two days?!??!

I should add the temperature is 25 degrees Celsius and the ph is 7

How long did it take for the ammonia to rise to 0.50?  Be sure to fast them.

I would double Prime as I walked out the door along with no feeding.  :D

How many big fish do you have in that 50l tank?  If you had asked a couple of days ago, we would have told you to fast the fish for 3 days before you left, do a 100% water change immediately before leaving, and double dose Prime.  This would resemble preparation for shipping.  Starved fish release little ammonia and they would suffer little, if any, harm.

Do you have a cycled filter anywhere that you could move to this tank?  Can you get a small filter and borrow media from another tank?  Can you get a large tub, and transfer them to that?

If you can't do any of these, follow Lisa's instructions (do a 100% water change just before you leave) and hope for the best.

The information in the OP is too vague to provide answers but good questions have been asked by the other members. I had a fiah taking 15 gallons of water to 1 ppm ammonia in 24 hours so it will be interesting to know how many fish you have in the tank.

How long did it take for the ammonia to rise to 0.50? Be sure to fast them.

I would double Prime as I walked out the door along with no feeding. :D

30hrs for ammonia to rise.

How many big fish do you have in that 50l tank? If you had asked a couple of days ago, we would have told you to fast the fish for 3 days before you left, do a 100% water change immediately before leaving, and double dose Prime. This would resemble preparation for shipping. Starved fish release little ammonia and they would suffer little, if any, harm.

Do you have a cycled filter anywhere that you could move to this tank? Can you get a small filter and borrow media from another tank? Can you get a large tub, and transfer them to that?

If you can't do any of these, follow Lisa's instructions (do a 100% water change just before you leave) and hope for the best.

No extra tubs

3 fish

I filled a 300lph canister filter with cycled media.

Sorry for the short replies, just wanting to keep it as simple and clear as possible.

Thank you

Oh happy new year everyone

My friend is going to stay at my house now. I'm only going to make her do a 30% change as she is not a fish keeper at all. But have given her a syringe and measured out a double dose of prime to do on the two days I am away.

The qt tank has had a 100% wc

Filter has cycled media in it.

Ammonia reads 0 an hr after wc.

Hopefully I don't come home to a catastrophe

Owh I wish I posted earlier

What happened?

Nothing. I just wish I had fasted them for three days first I just hate not being there

With a cycled filter in the tank, you should be fine.