Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CaliGold

And the crowd goes wild! (first time gel food)

Oh my goodness you guys... I did it! I finally took the plunge and made my own gel food! It wasn't as terrible as I thought making it would be. Sure, it stank up the kitchen for a little bit, but I can barely smell anything anymore anyway (I've got a terrible stuffed nose right now). Ha! I should just make gel food when I've got a cold in future, it was so much better than expected.

I used one of the recipes I found on this site, with tuna, green beans, carrots, and a little squash as the main components. Apparently I added just the right amount of gelatin, as well, because after 3 hours of sitting in the fridge, not only did it pop out of the bread pan smooth as butter, but it was firm enough that it didn't fall apart, too! I sliced it up into "weekly" portions, put them in an airtight container, separated with parchment paper, and off into the freezer most of it went! Only thing I forgot to do was weigh the darn thing before I cut it all apart (I wanted to calculate the percentages of protein, fiber, fat, etc. for the whole thing). Oh well, hopefully I remember next time.

As for feeding it? Well, the fishies were feasting tonight! I dropped two little chunks of the gel food into the tank in the area where I normally feed them, and plopped myself down to watch. First things first, the gel food didn't disintegrate into tiny bits and pieces like I'd feared it might. Score! Then came the hungry water babies. I was worried that the chunks of gel food would look too big for them, but apparently they smelled fantastic. My orange fantail took a big 'ole bite out of the chunk before I even had time to think of what I'd do if one of them started choking on it (of course, since it hadn't disintegrated upon hitting the water I immediately worried I might have made it too dense, haha). No problems whatsoever. The consistency seemed pleasing even to the calico, who is kind of my picky eater. The calico even got his fair share, by the looks of it!

Anyway, I just wanted to share this with everyone in case there's anyone out there that's still on the fence about whether to make their own gel food or not. I'm so glad I gave it a try, and reading all the recipes posted around here really gave me more confidence (as did the head cold that let me blissfully ignore the smell). :D

All the best!

~ CaliGold ~

Edited by CaliGold

So cool to hear this! I've not made my own gel food. I just use the Repashy gel food, but your post makes me consider doing my own.

Congratulations!!!!!  :redbanana:

So cool to hear this! I've not made my own gel food. I just use the Repashy gel food, but your post makes me consider doing my own.

Not to sway you any further, but organic baby food is a super easy (lazy) way to get the right portions of veggies without cooking the nutrients out in the process ;)

Not to sway you any further, but organic baby food is a super easy (lazy) way to get the right portions of veggies without cooking the nutrients out in the process ;)

Tempting! It would be easy enough to add spirulina to the mixture.

I'm glad to hear you did it!  :pianobanana

I can't wait to try it, next week I'm placing an order with Kens to get a few specialty foods to add into it Spirulina powder and Astaxanthin powder. Hopefully mine turns out as well as yours have CaliGold. If not I'm gonna need u to make a video on homemade gel foods

I made my own too. Boiling the veggies too much isn't good. Steaming them a tad works fine. You're going to absolutely pulverize them in the blender anyway, so they just need to be soft enough to blend. Assuming your blender is decent (mine easily crushes rock hard ice) they really don't have to be cooked long at all.