Kokos Goldfish Forum
magickzzl

A poll for single tail owners!

So I have been reading the sticky on ages of goldfish and have some questions for single tail owners (commons and comets)

1. What is the oldest singletail you have personally known, through a friend or your self or a parent.

2. What were/are the sizes really of single tails you have known?

3. Pond, tub or tank? And if so what size?

For me personally 10-12 years have been the average for my single tails. My longest lived was my first carnival fish Fred who lived to be 16, and had a black mustache the whole time (was also 13-14 inches long may have had koi in him in retrospect)

The oldest I knew was Goldie my friend Daniels amazing comet/butterfly koi hybrid. She lived to be 25 years. She had little mini barbels and the longest fina. So amazing

All of mine and my friend Daniels were kept in tanks. Mine would phase through a 10, then go to a 20 high then end up in the 55/48 (when the 55s bottom blew out the landlord said no tanks over 50 gallons so I found a 38 and 48 long ha!)

Goldie grew up in a 10 gallon alone then was moved into an eclypse 25 alone for the last 10 years of her life.

Just curious. I have prolly raised 10 or 12 goldfish to be over 6 inches and over 6 years old with the help of my mom and grandfather over the years. I have long figured that poor genetics especially in "feeder fish" (which at the chain petshops are the ugly siblings of the fancys, you can regularly find wakins and such in those tanks) might be partially responsible. And there are so many koi crosses you never know what you'll end up with.

Wow, 16 is a good long time!  

The oldest single tailed goldfish I personally knew belonged to a friend who won a white comet at a fair, and she lived for 7 years in a 20 gal tall and was around 6-7 inches long.  This is the only common goldfish I personally knew :) 

I've had my comet for 7 and a half years.

He is about 30cm TL, I'd say about 20cm SL. These are just guesses...he is really hard to measure. But the last tub I used to transport him was 30cm long and he had to curl his tail around.

He has lived most of his life in a tank, mostly overstocked. Only been the past 3 or 4 years or so when he has been in a properly stocked tank. I tried him in the pond for just over a month but he was always freaking out and hiding and never came out with the other fish so I bought him back inside. 

Edited by FishyMandy

Outside of seeing some goldfish in ponds in public parks (Who knows how old? Sizes vary, but nothing enormous), my sole experience with other single tail owners (outside of the internet) is their statement, "I won a goldfish at the fair, but it died." At Girl Scout camp last summer when they were discussing pets, I swear every kid but mine said that (it was right after the month long county fair was over). In July of 2013, one of my kids got given a tiny goldfish for her birthday by one of her friends, & I stuck him in a 10 gallon for about 3 months, before getting a 100 gallon stock tank for the back yard. Four more baby fish were added, 3 right away (from Petco feeder tank) & 1 a few months later (shubunkin from Walmart - owners got tired of him & gave him to us). They lived in the non-filtered (but frequent water changes) tub for about a year & a half, then I got a 75 gallon tank (284 liter) about 6 months ago. There were 4 males & 1 female, so I found a home with a pond for the female (too much chasing), & they were all about 2 1/2 - 3 inches standard length in June. At age 2 1/2, they are all 4- 4 1/2 inches (10 cm) standard length now (1 comet, 1 shubunkin, 2 commons).

Edited by Shahbazin

If people give lengths, please specify standard length (not including tail) or total length which includes tail (sl or tl).  Standard length preferred since the typical 12" (tl) comet includes 6" of fish (sl), and 6" of caudal fin,  while the typical 12" (tl) common is 9" of fish  (sl) and 3" of tail.

When I was a kid, it seemed almost everyone had a fishbowl with two goldfish,  usually an orange comet and a black moor.  Every dime store had a tank with these two varieties for sale.While some had had their fish for years, but never would had thought to ask how old they were.  As an adult, I didn't know anyone who kept goldfish.  

Thanks for all the great responses!! Im kind of putting together some theories based on personal experience and other peoples actual anecdotes, compared to the facts that spew from us based on what we think we learn as fish keepers and what people blurt out in pet shaming online. There is so much pet shaming going on, and I feel like there has to be a better, more friendly way to approach education. (btw there isnt pet shaming HERE I have found which I why I keep coming back!! I love this place) 

My oldest goldfish is a common and she 10 years old, 10 - 12 inches long and is currently in a 90 gallon tank.

Well...I have two who are about 8" long counting the tail.  They were spawned in a neighbors pond and lived their first two-three years in the following tank sizes: 29 gal; 55 gal. and 125 gal. (with fancies).  They have been in a 300 gallon pond for the past 4 years with 2 shubunkins about 6" long counting the tail who are now almost 3 years old.

Could you please estimate the standard length?  A fish with an eight inch total length could have anywhere from 4-6" sl.  

Excellent point Shakaho! All of mine from my poat (except Goldie) had short tails, under 2 inches. Goldie was almost all tail it seemed but the length posted was without tail, as her butterfly/comet tail was equal or greater her length

My Sarasa Comet is 11 years old, she lives in a 75G tank, and her body is just under (?) a foot long.

Do you have a picture for us?

8549937213_c1623ae32e_o.jpg

8559919631_a44af809b4_o.jpg

8561104304_9afdef0da5_o.jpg

These photos are from around 2 years ago. I still have this tank at a friends house (it's complicated), so I don't have any more recent ones.

She's a lovely fish! :)

I have a photo showing the size of one of mine (2 1/2 year old comet):

GhostSize19Dec5865_zps1nlydv3l.jpg

Thanks! Your comet is adorable! I love his/her fins!

Their so cute!!! I love it!!