Kokos Goldfish Forum
ChrissieA

Maintaining water quality in an overstocked tank

I'm sorry but I can't let that pass.  Long bodied fish do not need more swimming space than fancies.  Being much more nimble and flexible than fancies they can maneuver in small spaces.  While baby fish dart around a bit,  unless scared, heading for food, or spawning, adult goldfish rarely swim fast.  My pond fish will take several minutes to travel five feet across the pond since they have to check every inch just in case they could find something to eat.  It makes no difference whether they have long bodies or  short, they behave the same.

I respect your thoughts on this but I do not agree.  I have done a lot of research when I had my common Foster and this is the info I found about long bodied goldfish.  However I would be very interesting in reading stuff that says otherwise cause I would love a new comet/common goldfish.

Edited by Hidr

I respect your thoughts on this but I do not agree.  I have done a lot of research when I had my common Foster and this is the info I found about long bodied goldfish.  However I would be very interesting in reading stuff that says otherwise cause I would love a new comet/common goldfish.

Where did you read this info?  Just because you read it does not make it true.  I would be interested to know the source.  Both Sharon and I have kept and/or do keep long bodied goldfish and we are both commenting with personal experience that the fish do not zoom around the tank or pond. At one point I had nearly 50 of them.  If I did see my long bodied single tail fish zooming around the tank or the pond, i would worry that there was a problem, because this was never a normal behavior from them.

Edited by DieselPlower

My long bodied fish also doesn't zoom around anymore than my fancies. In fact I'd say he does so less.He is a lot more graceful than my fancies. The only exception would be at dinner time when he goes a bit crazy. But he gets around small places a lot easier tha my fancies

Hey butterfly... Thanks for your input :) I have no idea what in-tank fluidised sand bed is but it sounds cool lol. I'm going to google it out of curiosity but it already sounds above my head! Good on you for getting into the DIY :)

Angie, no offence taken at all! But no, I won't be taking them back. I take my pet buying decision very seriously, so although I messed it up a bit I'll do my best to correct it. While not technically 'kokos perfect', they're in fishie heaven compared to where they might end up after being returned to the pet shop...

My fish are small, but I also don't see them zoom around. They startle very occasionally.... Circle and attack like sharks at dinner time... I can see what you're saying because when they startle, they're unbelievably quick, but mostly they're relaxed grazers. I've seen someone on here describe them as cows lol. I live in a dairy farming region (never in my life did I think I'd say that sentence), and yep, I have under water cows :)

Hi!

Here's a link to what made. He also talks sizing, some modifications and explains why/how it works.

Great video butterfly. Thanks for the link. I watched one he did on canisters, great ideas! How do you find it as a filter?

There's so many options out there, it's like a whole new world lol :)

Edited by ChrissieA

I glad to hear that you won't take fish back.  Some fish stores with quarantine facilities will take back and resell fish, but the big pet stores just kill them.  

Yes goldfish graze virtually nonstop and  in our tanks/pond that leads to overfeeding and unhealthy fish.  In nature, they just get nibbles as they graze so they have to eat all the time.  They have kept that instinct to eat continually even though they now get as much food in one pellet as they would get in hours of grazing in a natural lake/pond.  So they will eat as much as you feed them.  

I guess it's working well...  I also have a SunSun 304b running with 2L of Seachem Matrix so it is hard to really which is doing how much of the job.

But, I will say that I have an Ammonia Alert tag in my tank and it is always a solid yellow (<0.02ppm ammonia) and has been staying that way (test drops agree and no nitrites either).  No bumps after I clean the canister or the tank and I've done dumb things with my canister... like forget to turn it on for a couple of days... hold the media in near freezing conditions without water while I finish up cleaning...

But I also have my sand filter inside my built in overflow which does not empty when I drain my tank.  So I don't have to see it, turn it off or even think about it really.

Great video butterfly. Thanks for the link. I watched one he did on canisters, great ideas! How do you find it as a filter?

There's so many options out there, it's like a whole new world lol :)

My fish do play a lot, but they maneuver very neatly around their tank, even at top speed (they don't run into walls or have trouble making sharp turns). I have 2 commons, a comet & a shubunkin (all about 10 cm standard length) in a 284 liter tank. I'm trying to wade through doing what is right for the fish too - water quality is good & fish are healthy, so it's been working so far. I did have them outdoors, but they actually seem to have been growing more since I brought them in, so something's agreeing with them.

Sharon - that's very unfortunate! Lfs fish have a hard road.

Butterfly you have a lot going on in that tank! How big is it? Can we see pics? I'm curious :)

Shahbazin how long have you had them? They've got just under 20gallons each, do you feel that's enough? I've seen your blog and they certainly look like they have enough space! I'm surprised to hear their size, size doesn't translate well in pics :) I remember your blog because your fish are like mine :)

I wish I was only 4us gallons overstocked... By my calculations (or googles, Aussies don't work in gallons! Lol) I have 36 gallons... So 12.something per fish :( which wasn't even a goldfish rookie error, just a stupid one!

I have no Idea why nitrates are zero but I believe it's the plants. I don't know what they're using it for because it certainly isn't growth!

Make sure you are doing your nitrate testing correctly, when I first started I was not doing it correctly and getting 0. You need to check out Mikeys video on nitrate test. Shake bottle two for 30sec before adding and then shake tub after adding for 1 min

Thanks speckles, do you have a link for mickeys video? Or know where I can find it? I'm assuming he's demonstrating using api? I use a different one, I'm not sure if they're the same process (?) but I'll certainly look. I did wonder at first whether I was doing right so I've played around with it a bit but it's always still come out the same. It'd be nice to be sure :)

Shahbazin how long have you had them? They've got just under 20gallons each, do you feel that's enough? I've seen your blog and they certainly look like they have enough space! I'm surprised to hear their size, size doesn't translate well in pics :) I remember your blog because your fish are like mine :)

Clownie came along in July of 2013, & the others not long after. So, everyone's about 2 1/2 years old now. I moved them to this tank last June, they were in a stock tub outside for over a year before that. I think length of the tank is important, & that this tank is just long enough; right now, once a week water changes are holding the water quality (bolstered by all those plants); I expect that someday I may have to up it to 2x/week, unless I go to a bigger tank or sump filter. I think it's possible a 75 gallon is a satisfactory home for 4 single tails, if at the maximum carrying capacity - I think that shooting for 15-20 gal./fish is a good goal. I really like the Aquaclear 110 and Hydo Sponge 5 Pro (with a powerhead on it) filter combo I'm running right now. If they're growing, I'd think that's a sign that their home is a healthy size - they were all around 6 cm (sl) 6 months ago. I just don't see that "they move faster" is a reason that single tails must either be in enormous aquariums or in a pond, while fancies can live happily in 150-340 liters? Honestly, I think that single tails are a lot sturdier than fancy goldfish, they're not as heavily modified. The space recommendations here at Kokos, based on weight, make a whole lot more sense to me than some of the really random things thrown around elsewhere. In my experience with fancy poultry, it's the bioload/weight of birds in a pen that matters, not the breed (allowing for any structural idiosyncrasies).