Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
begemi

Microplankton instead of brine shrimp

I've been quite busy recently and to be honest, frustrated by the manuvers I have to go through to separate the brine shrimp from the egg shells most of the times unsuccessfully. So I checked my fish store if they had any frozen hatched brine shrimp. They didn't have any at the moment and offered me some microplankton instead claiming that it's just as good if not better as fry food. Is it really a suitable substitute? I'd like to hear about your experience if you've tried it.

Ask what it contains.  A mixture of plankton should provide more balanced nutrition than a single species.  Brine shrimp don't even live in goldfish habitats.  I think breeders feed these simply because they can grow them easily.

It says on the package that it contains chirinomus and glassworm larvas.

Well neither of those are either micro or planktonic.  They are larvae of midges, small, but way too big for fry food.

I suggest you get some spirulina powder, which is sold as a nutritional supplement.  You can also use the dust that is left at the bottom of a container of pellets.  For live food, if possible get some duckweed, which is home for vast quantities and varieties of fry-food size critters.  Float a bunch of this on top of the fry tank and the little ones will find the food.