Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ChrissieA

Feeding in a planted tank

This might well and truly fit into the category of over thinking but I guess I'm just curious...

I have 3 fish in a planted tank. They all have very different eating habits.

Fiona is a plant annihilator. She spends all day eating the plants and pooping like crazy. All day it's long strands of solid poop. She occasionally digs in the gravel and eats the algae on the back of the tank. She's become a very solid looking fish hehe. I worry a little with her that feeding her fish food constitutes over feeding, just based on the amount she eats/poops during the day, but I also don't want her to be missing any nutritional requirements by restricting feeding.

Dudits will nibble the plants a little, but primarily prefers the algae. The algae isn't a thick sheet, just a light coating that he has to suck off the wall. He hardly poops at all during the day but at night poops more. Hes also not as 'round' as Fiona. He's great at hand feeding so I try to give him a little more food than the other 2 because despite being the biggest fish by far, his poop suggests he's not eating anywhere near as much as they are.

Franks an all rounder and eats plants, algae and whatever he finds in the gravel. His poop is short, healthy and frequent. He gets a decent amount of food at dinner time because he's super fast and greedy, not much gets by him!

Does anyone else have this situation? Thoughts? Should I just keep doing what I'm doing?

what breed fish are they? and how old are they?

it's not uncommon to have fish with different feeding habits. i guess as long as the water chemistry and their health is great, you just continue on as you have. seems there is always a food supply with the plants and the algae irrespective of whether you feed or not, so i guess they are well in tune with how much each wants to eat.

i'd just continue on as you have been doing. unless you notice a decline in health. an early detection of this would be the moment one becomes withdrawn and antisocial towards the rest of it's tankmates.

Fiona is a common, I'm not sure of ages, I've only had her and Dudits for a month. Dudits is a comet and Frank is shubunkin who I've had about 3 months. Water quality is good and they're happy so I'll take your advice and continue on. Thanks Helen :)

Maybe add some algae wafer or gel food with added protien so they wont eat up all your plants.

I just put in a little food (sinking pellets, about a mouthful each) 3x day for mine; sometimes substituting a feeding of a piece of seaweed on a clip for one of the regular feedings. Seaweed's messy, but I think it helps keep them from eating the plants. Mine nibble on some plants, but don't really destroy them. They do more damage digging & whamming through them at top speed when playing. They don't poop a whole lot, but they all seem real healthy. I have 2 commons, a comet & a shubunkin in a heavily planted tank.

Hehe you're lucky, I have quite a few leafless stems already! I'll try putting other edible things in to distract them :)