Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mickeyrom

Is there a chance for my only Goldfish to survive this?

My remaining GF, Gracie,seems doomed. She is on the bottom and upside down, and recently on her side. It all started with a cyst on her side. That is better now, but then she went to the bottom and only came up to eat. Then my wife accidentally over fed her and then she got this swim bladder issue. She is currently in a gauze thing near the top of the tank, because I didn't want her to lie on the gravel.The only thing we offer her to eat are a bit of a pea, and she has little appetite anyway. I think there is little hope, but I thought I would put it out here and see what happens. She is in a 40gallon tank, well filtrated, water tests to all 0s except Ph which is 72.

How long has the swim bladder issue been occurring and when was the overfeeding?

She was on the bottom maybe a week and a half ago, but was able to swim and eat. The upside down started 3 days ago, but now she is on her side.

TetraColor sinking goldfish granules is the food. My wife's fingers were wet and too many stuck to them, and when she put her hand into the water to feed Gracie, there was a veritable shower of granules, which of course Gracie gobbled up.

How long has the swim bladder issue been occurring and when was the overfeeding?

I assume that there is nothing that I can do. Thank you for reading my post. I plan to euthanize her in a few days, as soon as I can get some of that oil. A shame that they are so sensitive. :(

Well hang on a second - the cyst and bottom sitting point to a bacterial infection. That can also cause swim bladder issues. One over feeding could cause some floatiness but I think it is less likely than an untreated infection. Are you willing or able to obtain antibiotics to try and treat this? It may not be a lost cause. Her being upside down isn't a good sign but I have seen fish bounce back with quick treatment.

Well hang on a second - the cyst and bottom sitting point to a bacterial infection. That can also cause swim bladder issues. One over feeding could cause some floatiness but I think it is less likely than an untreated infection. Are you willing or able to obtain antibiotics to try and treat this? It may not be a lost cause. Her being upside down isn't a good sign but I have seen fish bounce back with quick treatment.

Of course I am willing to try anything. What kind of antibiotics should I get? Are those that I would just put into her tank? I read that I should fast her for three days and then give her peeled(of course) peas, after bringing up the water temp up to 80F. I already am using Melafix which is a natural infection fighter to deal with the infection from the cyst, which looks much better now. Only one small pimple, but it will probably break too.

I suggest keeping pristine water conditions, upping the salt to one teaspoon per gallon of water (.1% solution), and finding Seachem metronidazole at the fish store. Dose two measures of it in a ten gallon quarantine tank for two weeks.

Feed very, very lightly during treatment. One or two small meals a day, until the fish shows better appetite.

I suggest keeping pristine water conditions, upping the salt to one teaspoon per gallon of water (.1% solution), and finding Seachem metronidazole at the fish store. Dose two measures of it in a ten gallon quarantine tank for two weeks.

Feed very, very lightly during treatment. One or two small meals a day, until the fish shows better appetite.

Gracie almost eats nothing since she is on her side and not very lively.I don't have another tank, so it will have to be in her 40 gallon home. I want to keep the temp. at 80F and until the three days of fasting ends, nothing.Do you mean I should double the recommended dose, or do you mean something else? Should I discontinue the Melafix  in your opinion, or continue the 7 day treatment recommended on the bottle, which would be after thursday. Too many questions?

Edited by mickeyrom

I would recommend filling it halfway then - but really, having buckets of a quarantine tank is a really good idea because not only do some medications affect your beneficial bacteria population, they also can be quite expensive. Quadrupling the dose isn't cheap.

You can keep the temperature up if you want. It is on the higher side for goldfish but if she is used to it I doubt it would hurt anything.

Discontinue the melafix. The salt will achieve the same or better results with less stress. Rock salt, pickling salt, aquarium salt, or other non-iodized salts with no anti among agents added.

Don't keep fasting her please. I really don't think that is what is causing the floating and it is just adding to her stress. Like I said, offer small nibbles and see if she eats. If she refuses remove the uneaten food.

As for the metro dosing, for ten gallons of water it is 1-2 measures. I would like you to do the higher dose. So for 20 gallons of water it would be four measures. If you refuse to do a hospital tank or bucket with an airstone it will be 8 measures. This gets redosed with a full water change every two days until the fourteen day course is up. So all that should be in the water is the appropriate quantity of salt for your water volume and the appropriate dose of antibiotic for that aquarium size, too. You should see some improvement in 4 days or so.

By buckets I mean the big five gallon ones. I find they're easier to manage when I'm doing lots of water changes. Then I can give the fish fresh water and meds each day without contaminating my other equipment. A ten gallon tank is just convenient because they're cheap and most medications have their doses calibrated per ten gallons of water.

Using ten gallons of water in a 40 gallon tank makes another good option.  The shallow water makes life easier for a floaty fish, and as Taryl just said, you get easier dosing with that volume.

Using ten gallons of water in a 40 gallon tank makes another good option.  The shallow water makes life easier for a floaty fish, and as Taryl just said, you get easier dosing with that volume.

This is not an option, If I leave only 10 gallons in the tank, the filtration will not work, and the heater will be out of water. What is wrong with Melafix?  I am only using it to complete treatment for her cyst and it seems to be working. Only three more doses after today's.

I could use about 30 gallons possibly and still have filtration, but probably not the heater. I'll have to see. She is not on the bottom anyway.She is about 6" from the water line. I have a gauze container which can be used for keeping fish out of the main tank, for whatever reason.The water flows through it all the time, but not nearly as much as outside of this 8x8x6 device. It has a hard plastic frame, over which the gauze like fabric is stretched. Gracie lies on her side on the soft material instead of being on the hard gravel. I try to keep her in the dark as much as I can. I think she likes that better than the glare of the light.

By buckets I mean the big five gallon ones. I find they're easier to manage when I'm doing lots of water changes. Then I can give the fish fresh water and meds each day without contaminating my other equipment. A ten gallon tank is just convenient because they're cheap and most medications have their doses calibrated per ten gallons of water.

I actually have two ten gallon tanks, but they are occupied by tropical fish. Then there is the question of where to put this tank, as space is not infinite in our small home.I will be going to a fish store this PM and will get the antibiotic, just hope they have it. I don't want to stop what I am doing in midstream, but if this antibiotic is compatible with melafix I will start the treatment today. I realize that with 40 gallons it will require more, but I am prepared to spend a little more if it only might cure her. I am attached to her more than I ever expected.

Edited by mickeyrom

Sorry I did not respond sooner. I agree with Arctic Mama that the overfeeding is not likely to be the problem. She is more kniwledgeable about treating fish than i am so i wish you both good luck saving the little guy.

Well, today was the second treatment with the MetroPlex. I bought a 10 gallon tank, set it up with 5 gallons of water, the filter is from a mature tank so the water should be OK. I am following directions precisely, so at what point should I see some improvement? (If there ever will be) Gracie is on the bottom, but it is glass, so it is smooth and should not harm her. She moves around, but can't get off the bottom at all.

hello, i request a video, please :)

what i would like to see is the fish in it's normal behaviour, whether it be laying on it's side or sitting up etc.. just it's normal state before it notices your presence. then during this video, i would like you to feed the fish so that we can see the reaction to you, the food and it's swimming pattern. after all that, if you like, you can zoom in for close ups on any external symptoms that you are concerned about. it doesn't need to be a very long video 1.5-2 mins tops should do the trick. also, don't be afraid of talking us through your concerns, it makes noticing things a lot faster.  can you manage that?

hello, i request a video, please :)

what i would like to see is the fish in it's normal behaviour, whether it be laying on it's side or sitting up etc.. just it's normal state before it notices your presence. then during this video, i would like you to feed the fish so that we can see the reaction to you, the food and it's swimming pattern. after all that, if you like, you can zoom in for close ups on any external symptoms that you are concerned about. it doesn't need to be a very long video 1.5-2 mins tops should do the trick. also, don't be afraid of talking us through your concerns, it makes noticing things a lot faster.  can you manage that?

I'm not sure. I can video Gracie, but how do I add it to this forum? You say normal, but there is no normal at this time.Normal for Gracie is to lie on her side and mover her lips and gills.That is about it. She does not want to eat, but will try a pea tomorrow morning.She does move around on the slick surface of the tank, but not when I am watching. She seems to literally stuck to the bottom as if she were metal and the bottom a magnet. She also seems to like being near the heater. I just did a water change on the 40, but I wonder what it's future is, now that Gracie's is very problematic.

PS...you said you wanted to see her swimming pattern. She does not swim.

Edited by mickeyrom

you can upload the video to youtube or photobucket and then post the uploaded video link here.

"but i wonder what it's future is" - i am hoping to give you an honest answer after seeing footage of movements and reactions via the requested video. 

you can upload the video to youtube or photobucket and then post the uploaded video link here.

"but i wonder what it's future is" - i am hoping to give you an honest answer after seeing footage of movements and reactions via the requested video. 

Easier said than done. I am extremely low tech. Will try as soon as I can.

I got a short video on my FB page, but I don't know what to do next. Could you just look at it there? Or maybe I could friend you and share it. My real name is Allan Birmantas.

Now Gracie is back on her back, totally upside down. It seems more comfortable to her than being on her side. Nobody, it seems has watched my video, or at least have not mentioned it.

Tomorrow morning will try to feed her a little bit of a pea. If she won't eat, I don't know what else to do.

Edited by mickeyrom

Helen is in Australia and the timezone issues can be tricky. Not all of us have Facebook, either. Uploading to a free site like Photobucket or Flickr allows us all to see it without needing to hunt it down. It's a free account, uploading the video and setting the permissions to public, then pasting the link to it here :)

Helen is in Australia and the timezone issues can be tricky. Not all of us have Facebook, either. Uploading to a free site like Photobucket or Flickr allows us all to see it without needing to hunt it down. It's a free account, uploading the video and setting the permissions to public, then pasting the link to it here :)

Yes, i get that, but youtube is free too and I shared it to my facebook page, and at that point, I don't know how to post it to Koko.

If it is on YouTube you can paste the video's link into the forum here. There is a share button on the video that contains the various forms - the email/link/embed options all work :)

Just put a link to the you tube video in your post.  You do know how to post a link, right?

(Sniped by Taryl!)

Edited by shakaho