Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
Cyprinidae

I need 40g pond stocking suggestions

7 posts in this topic

Hi guys! Its been a while since I last posted on here.  I have tried to do college without keeping goldfish due to their space requirements, but I am having some difficulty keeping them out of my life ;)

...So I bought a 40 gal stock pond/tank online this weekend, and I am planning to set it up as an indoor water garden/goldfish pond in my room.  I have never kept long-bodied fish before, as I have always considered them pond fish, and I only kept a 20g one fancy-fish aquarium through high school.  So heres my question:

Could I keep 1-2 comets in a 40g setup?  

The filter I have is 400gph, and I plan to do 50% water changes weekly, and 100% monthly.  I have read on some websites that 55+ gal is recommended for comets, and on others that 30g is good for one fish, and 40g is good for two.  If the general consensus is that this set up would be too small for a comet (or two), I will stick to ryukins, but would love to keep comets if I can. :)

Thanks!

What are the dimensions of the pond? If it is long enough I would say 2 in a 40 would be okay :)

Yes, of course you can.  The 20 gallon per goldfish rule goes for ponds as well as aquariums.   You might like to read this thread about a small container pond.  One of the great advantages of a pond over an aquarium is the big pond filter.

I change 10% of the water in my container ponds daily, using the continuous drip system in the link above.  This gives the same waste removal as a 50% weekly water change while giving the fish the "water that never changes"  that they love.

Mikey, what does length have to do with it???

Edited by shakaho

Oh just wondering about the length to make sure once they were full grown If there would be enough room to swim :idont

How much space do you think they need?  If you ever tried to catch a comet in a pond, you would learn that if there is an open inch next to the container you try to catch them in, they will swim through it.

I'm pretty sure these are the dimensions: 38 in. L x 27 in. W x 13 in. H.

Edited by shakaho

Thank you! Shakaho, that is a great thread, thank you for sharing :) And Mikey, the dimensions are 20x35x17.  I can't wait to get this started!

Best of luck to you. Sounds like fun!