Kokos Goldfish Forum
goldfishgirl82

Article on Nitrifying Bacteria

Was shared by a fish club I belong to. Thought I'd pass it along. Interesting read. 

"It could never be found until recently, in a fish tank a few floors below Radboud University's microbiology department: one single organism able to perform the complete process of nitrification. Microbiologists used to think that two distinct groups of bacteria were responsible for the stepwise oxidation of ammonia to nitrate via nitrite. Nature magazine publishes the results – which have implications on climate research and wastewater treatment – on November 26."

http://phys.org/news/2015-11-responsible-nitrification.html

Interesting. Thank you for sharing!

Wow!  We have discovered so many new things about microbes with 21st century nucleic acid techniques.  

Wow!  We have discovered so many new things about microbes with 21st century nucleic acid techniques.

Shakaho do you find this article to be relevant to our aquariums? I have heard of nitrospiria or whatever it was talking about but I am not sure anything is being reduced to nitrogen gas in our tanks. If that was the case, would nitrate not stay at or near zero?

It will require more research to determine the conditions under which this bug thrives.  Now that they have identified it, they can search for it.  Since they found it in a fish tank filter, some of us may have it.  I don't think it changes our practices at all.

Just to clarify, the species of Nitrospira they have found converts ammonia to nitrate, basically functioning as AOB and a NOB in one organism.  We have known Nitrospira as the primary NOB in aquaria since before the start of this century, but only recently have learned about some of its other talents.

The anammox bacteria they mention are a totally different bug that converts ammonia to nitrogen gas.  These do the work in anoxic pond filtration.  I don't know why the author of this article brought them up.

Photo of the week winner!

Pic of the week poll #18