Kokos Goldfish Forum
ChrissieA

I think my filter is about to die...

Hey everyone,

Just when I feel like I've got a handle on this fish keeping thing I get thrown another curve ball! Yesterday my previously silent filter started making a funny noise. My bf who is handy with mechanical things pulled it apart but it's still the same. It's still pumping fine for now. Money is tight at the moment and until this one actually stops completely I don't like my chances of replacing it.

I'm envisioning a lag between the death of the filter and the arrival of a replacement. I know I'll have to do much more frequent water changes if there's no filter, but how do I keep the biomedia and my cycle alive in the meantime? Can I put it in a stocking or something in the tank? How much will this impact my cycle?

Thank you :)

Did he take the impeller out and clean the impeller and impeller well? That is the most common area to cause trouble on any filter.

What filter do you have?

If it does die on you you can put it in a stocking or keep it in the bag it's in and make sure you have an air stone/wand under it so water flows into it. It may give you a cycle bump, it may not. It all varies.

I'm not sure, he's going to take another look tonight so I'll get him to do that. It's an aquapro super fish 800/hr.

Ok awesome. I can do all that. Fingers crossed it's the impeller!

Thanks Mikey :)

Sometime the impellers poop the bed. If you lube them with vasoline before putting them back it'll make them quieter.

What kind of filter is it?

Keep your biological media wet if you've got to take it out of the filter. It also needs a food source. So, I'd put a little bit of fish food in a bucket with tank water :)

It looks like a little canister to me from looking it up. 

Is there a chance that a bit of air got into the intake and got caught in the filter?

Thank you flipper and Chelsea, I'm really not sure, my bf does all the filter handling... It's the only thing I can get him to do with the tank ;) I'll show him all your suggestions and hopefully he can sort it out tonight. It'll help to have ideas on things to look for. Much appreciated :)

If you have to keep the biomedia bacteria alive for a while all you have to do is put it in the tank. As Mikey noted, if you have an airstone, you can use it to keep the water moving. You won't get any mechanical filtration but that is not nearly as important as biological filtration.

Thanks for the help everyone. It was the impeller :) we replaced it last night and the filter is back to being silent. So glad I asked! :)