Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
begemi

How to measure the right amount of Seachem Safe?

So my long expected little pot of Seachem Safe finally arrived the other day. Water change is due tomorrow and I'm at a loss with the amount of product I should use for my 20gal tank. It's a 50ml bottle I got to try it. It says in the instructions that I put a scoop per 100l. How much is a scoop? No clue. I found some formula online explaining how to calculate the equivalence of a scoop given the total amount of substance it is taken out of but I have never been good at maths. I figure a scoop is probably 1ml. Can anybody tell me how much Safe I'm supposed to use? Thanks in advance!

I don't use Seachem Safe yet, so I'm not sure, but is the scoop down inside the bottle somewhere?

Here is what I found on the Seachem Safe website: Use 100 mg Safe (scoop) per each 100 L (25 gallons) as needed to reduce chlorine and chloramine or per 25 L (6 gallons) for ammonia.

Apparently 100 mg is a scoop.

Mine doesn't have a scoop. I just use a 1/4 tsp measurement and eyeball it. Too much doesn't hurt.

They sell replacement scoops online, I just haven't bothered getting one.

Here is what I found on the Seachem Safe website: Use 100 mg Safe (scoop) per each 100 L (25 gallons) as needed to reduce chlorine and chloramine or per 25 L (6 gallons) for ammonia.

Apparently 100 mg is a scoop.

Thanks Lisa! I don't think it came with a measuring spoon but I'll dig in to check.

Mine doesn't have a scoop. I just use a 1/4 tsp measurement and eyeball it. Too much doesn't hurt.

They sell replacement scoops online, I just haven't bothered getting one.

Thanks Arctic Mama! I'll do the same if there's no scoop in the bottle.

For my tank it's about a 1/32 of a teaspoon, so I take the 1/4 tsp measure and eyeball an 1/8th full, which isn't terribly challenging. Don't overthink it - a light pinch will do for most tanks.

I don't use Safe yet but I am planning on it.  I have read on the Seachem forums that if you send an email to the company they will send you a scoop for free.  Haven't tried it yet but just FYI.

Their customer service is great! Here's the number in case someone needs it:

1-888-732-2436 Mon-Fri 9-5!!

Yes, Seachem is very easy to get on the phone for technical help compared to some other companies I can think of.

And safe is a great product! I haven't purchased prime in a year because my safe is so much more economical for the volume.

Is there any real difference between Seachem Safe and Seachem Prime other than one is dry and one is liquid ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They're the same except that Safe is dry and more concentrated. It's much cheaper and gets the job done.

Sodium thiosulfate is another option that is inexpensive, by the way. Pond folks have been known to use that or ascorbic acid (or sodium ascorbate) to neutralize chlorine too.

Here is a good article on using ascorbic acid if you're interested, as it is even cheaper than Safe:

http://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/html/05231301/05231301.html

I know this is older but I use Safe as well.  I contacted Seachem as there was no scoop in my bottle.  They mailed me 2 scoops.  Awesome service.

But I wanted to point out the measure is the same scoop in the metroplex and Kanaplex packages.

Seachem has excellent customer service, I'd prefer to deal with them over almost all other aquaria suppliers. They're a great manufacturer when it comes to responsiveness, let alone quality control.