Kokos Goldfish Forum
Kate89

Fishy decisions

Hi guys  :hi

First of all sorry for going a bit AWOL, things have been bit hectic recently. I've still not heard anything on the progress of my tank, the companys communication is very poor it would seem. Nevertheless I'm super excited to get my fishies out of the entrance hall and into the living room where I can see them again! I've noticed recently that Matcha is losing a lot of her colour and lovely black spots, and I'm wondering if that's down to the lack of natural light they get in that room. In our old flat they were right by the window, and whilst this meant a constant battle with algae the fish seemed to thrive and were beautiful colours. 

Anyway, it's Star Fisheries open day tomorrow and I'm planning on getting a couple of new guys in anticipation of the new tank. As some of you may know, my female oranda Matcha spawned literally every two weeks from April through to October this year, so I would love to get a handsome male oranda so I can breed from them next year. No idea what colour I want, or who knows I might come home with two completely different fish. Whatever I get I want them to compliment my current gang (this video was from an unusually sunny day)...

Any ideas/suggestions on what colours or breeds would look good with them? Or what colour male oranda I should get for Matcha? I know there's going to be so many fish tomorrow I'll just be like :happydance  :krazy: , so it will help if I've got some idea of what I want before I get there! 

This is the email they sent out, I don't even know what half of these goldie breeds are!! :lol

Star Fisheries

THE UK'S PREMIER COLDWATER FISH SUPPLIER

SPECIAL OPEN DAY SUNDAY 15TH NOVEMBER 2015 FROM 10AM TO 3PM

RARE JAPANESE FANCY GOLDFISH

AND MANY NEW FISH FROM AROUND THE WORLD 

WILL BE FOR SALE AT THIS OPEN DAY.

For sale from Japan will be the following High Quality Rare Fish many have never been seen before in the UK:  Azuma, Tokai Nishiki, Jikin, Tosakin, Calico Tosakin, Calico Wakin, Aurora, Horyu,

Hanafusa Pom Pom Egg Fish , Sabao, Albino Ranchu, 

Albino Deme Ranchu and Ranchu.

We also have a fantastic new Range of Fish including the 

Chinese Butterfly Tail, Chinese Broadtail and Marble Ryukin 

just to name a few.

There will also be for sale Top Quality Andrew James Ranchu now recognised 

as the Number One Breeder of Ranchu in Europe.  

Available will be Tosai, Nisai and Oya, Select Grade, Show Grade 

and Potential Breeding stock.

Such beautiful fish you have!  Enjoy your shopping that will be so exciting! :)

:thud

I know what a handful or so of those are, but the rest? :ignore

Matcha :wub:

I don't know what other type you should get. I think another calico oranda or even a kirin would be nice (and the broadtail could be fantastic too! :o), but from a breeding perspective I really don't know. Is there any type of goal you have in mind for potential fry? :idont 

I'm already :o :o :krazy::happydance just in excitement for videoooosss!!! :krazy:

Your Goldfish are GORGEOUS!!!!! Have fun shopping!!!!!

That is an amazing selection and should be great quality by the sounds of it... Have a ball picking out your new babies!!!! :hi

She's calico, right?  Then get a calico male.  If you want nice colors, the only alternative is a wild-color metallic.  If you mate a calico with a red/orange metallic, the offspring will lose any black and blue they have in their first year.

I don't see any preservation of color by sunlight, and my fish get a lot of it.  Eating algae in the pond does brighten red.

:thud

I know what a handful or so of those are, but the rest? :ignore

Matcha :wub:

I don't know what other type you should get. I think another calico oranda or even a kirin would be nice (and the broadtail could be fantastic too! :o), but from a breeding perspective I really don't know. Is there any type of goal you have in mind for potential fry? :idont

I'm already :o :o :krazy::happydance just in excitement for videoooosss!!! :krazy:

No particular goal, I think body shape is more important to me than colouring, and I love Matchas shape so will try to find a male similar in that respect. I just know that there's going to be so many goldies and I'll just be like  :tbanana so here's hoping I make a sensible decision!!

She's calico, right?  Then get a calico male.  If you want nice colors, the only alternative is a wild-color metallic.  If you mate a calico with a red/orange metallic, the offspring will lose any black and blue they have in their first year.

I don't see any preservation of color by sunlight, and my fish get a lot of it.  Eating algae in the pond does brighten red.

Yeh she's a lovely spotty calico. Thanks for the advice Sharon, I'll keep my eyes peeled for a calico then, or a kirin would be incredible... the one baby I raised from her this year is the one you can see in the video, he's a nymph and still has his fry/wild colouring at 6 months of age, I love that colour so I'm kind of hoping he keeps it. 

Maybe the colour change thing is just a coincidence then, I'm also feeding them less FBW as the shop I buy them from isn't as close now I've moved house so maybe that has contributed  :idont

A pom pom egg fish would be AMAZING but they will probably be out of my price range. They were last year anyway, and also Baz is freaked out by pom poms. But just imagine one of those swooshing around the tank...  :heart

Are blue orandas technically wild-coloured metallics? I saw one at LFS recently and was seriously tempted, but I'm holding out for one which is definitely male

Oh man, I'd love to be there. Any fish that speaks to your heart is the right one to go with!

Are blue orandas technically wild-coloured metallics? I saw one at LFS recently and was seriously tempted, but I'm holding out for one which is definitely male

No, wild-colored metallics, sometimes called called bronze or green,  have the same color as fry that haven't "colored" yet .  The blue is a metallic black in which the pigment is scattered.  A wild type has black, red and yellow pigments producing a brownish color which varies from almost black on the dorsal surface to silvery on the ventral. These fish look very pretty in the aquarium, particularly with colorful tank mates, but are invisible in most ponds.  

You can learn a lot about color here.

Kate please take lots of photos for us. I'd love to go with you!

Is this guy an example of a wild colored metallic?

Microfiche1.jpg

Edited by mysterygirl

I think so, my fry Stephen still has his wild colouring, you can see him in the video

Definitely lots of pics please!

Good Luck with your decision! I can't wait to see what you get!

Kate please take lots of photos for us. I'd love to go with you!

Is this guy an example of a wild colored metallic?

Microfiche1.jpg

Yes he is.

I'm in suspense! Have fun and take lots of pictures please

After much deliberation I've come home with THREE new babies!!   :newfish  :newfish  :newfish

Lots and lots of pics to follow!  :pianobanana

After much deliberation I've come home with THREE new babies!!   :newfish  :newfish  :newfish

Good for you and congrats on your new fish! Can't wait to see the pics!

So exciting! Can't wait to see!

Congrats on your new trio!!!  They are beautiful!!!!!!

Oh yes! I love them! Can't wait to see them getting around in the new digs, yippee ????. I want a Ranchu :rant

If I ever saw a Ranchu.......or even a Lionhead around here..........well I would :thud

THEN BUY ONE OR TWO (or ALL of them!!!)

Edited by Jeana727