Kokos Goldfish Forum

Feeling like such a bad fish mum...I'm so confused about Kh and Gh ( l haven't tested for it before)

Kh was 2 and Gh was inconclusive as I wasn't seeing any color change after 32 drops

This was the water from water change not fresh water

Gh is a measure of water hardness. Primarily dissolved ca and mg.

Kh is a measure of the capacity of the water to resist changes in ph (carbonate buffering). This can be increased with sodium bicarb (baking soda).

Prob more than you want to know:

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumKH.html

This a link that he links too in the above which is shorter and a little more concise:

http://www2.ca.uky.edu/wkrec/HARDNESS.htm

There is also a detailed chemistry post from another forum but I'm not sure I'm allowed to post here?

I'm so confused...

Bought a new kit today, now the Kh won't even turn blue it is just getting more orange no yellow either

Gh test just goes from very light green to darker no orange

Is there a video of the test?

My main issue is actually getting a good reading

Oh. Got it. It's supposed to go from orange to green, right? (Or is it it green to orange, I always have to read the instructions before I do that test because I never remember). Maybe your kh is just that low. Take some water and add sonme baking soda to it and test that to see if you can get an orange reading.

I'm sorry.  Ignore color info in what I wrote above.  I'm probably not fully awake yet and not at home and don't have my kit in front of me.  I'm getting confused between the colors and tests.  I always have to double check the instructions before I do the test.  Every. Time.

I usually test and keep the tube over a white piece of paper or towel so I can see the color change.  The colors can be quite faint.

If you think your kh source water might just be low, you could add some baking soda to the water and test that for kh.

If you think your gh source water might be low, you could add some Mg (epsom salt) or Ca (CaCl ice melt) to the water to test your gh kit.

Sorry if I have caused or am still causing any confusion.

I'm so confused...

Bought a new kit today, now the Kh won't even turn blue it is just getting more orange no yellow either

Gh test just goes from very light green to darker no orange

Is there a video of the test?

API?

Ok. I just tested both (also API).

I find the kh color change much easier to see.

The gh is tough. At some point there is a slight/questionable change then the next is more clear so I figure in between.

I use a gloved finger (or wrapped in Saran Wrap if no glove available) to mix the solution instead of the cap. Then look DOWN through the tube in a brightly lit room and over a white piece of paper. It is most clear this way. The green/orange colors are a little muddy I find but you can tell this way the best.

With my water softener tap water it goes immediately green (but a very light green). My dear husband hasn't figured out how to turn the softening down so it doesn't remove everything and I guess I just haven't made it a priority either (and I don't even know where the salt goes, LOL, so bad).

Hope this helps!

Yeah great, I will def do the wrap over finger trick...cos capping and uncapping is just insane.

I'll give it another shot today I thinks

Thanks

Ok so I'm concluding that I have very low 2 drops readings of Kh/Gh with bi carb as I add it to tank to get ph to 7.6.

Sooo should l do any thing add salt? More bicarb?

And on a dif subject of nitrate levels is it best to look at side of tube on white paper or down from top of tube over white paper as the color is a lot darker looking down into the tube

I'll get seachem equilibrium I think for Gh, so my plants are all ok and I think I might change substrate to a sand with a bit of crushed coral to deal with Kh and Ph.

Sorry I can't help with the problem but I just had to say I love Butterflys idea! It was always so tedious capping and uncapping between each drop!

I know isn't it...I felt like kissing the phone! U know cos after 30 or so drops...

I hope it's in the tips section?

I'll get seachem equilibrium I think for Gh, so my plants are all ok and I think I might change substrate to a sand with a bit of crushed coral to deal with Kh and Ph.

I would do that but I would put the coral in a sac in the filter if you can :)

Thanks Koko! I'm thinking I will do that with the coral. Is there any rule on how much to use? How long should it last? thanks

I'm so happy that you find my tip useful!  Glad I could help.

The water that comes out of my regular (non-softener) tap has about equal gh and kh (I think because there is so much limestone here).  So that I what I have been aiming for when I have to replenish my softened water. 

FYI, Seachem Equilibrium is on sale now at Dr F & S and there is a free shipping code (no minimum).  I think their site just crashed, probably from all the traffic!  Eek!  I have a credit I want to use up.