Kokos Goldfish Forum
Ajnk17

Becoming a "goldfish lady"

I started typing and it turned into my whole story... :rofl So here it is.

I always "jokingly" ask my husband if we can get a new pet. Anything from a hamster to a pig. (Side note: I don't have a pig...Yet..) I had asked about getting fish a couple of times and his response has always been no. We have two cats and apparently that was enough for him, but I grew up in a zoo. I've had snakes, tarantulas, hamsters, cats, dogs, rabbits, birds and a couple fish. At one point I had 13 pets at one time. So I'm always "jokingly" asking about adopting more. For some reason, one day he said yes. I asked if we could get a couple of goldfish. One for him and one for me. Bad choice on his behalf. :teehee

Unfortunately we did not know anything about what we were getting ourselves into. We started our poor little guys in a 10 gallon, uncycled tank. I figured I would learn about they type of goldfish we purchased, after we got them. Needless to say, when we got home and I started researching I quickly learned our mistakes. I tried keeping up with daily water changes for our two little guys. We lost one of them in the process. Sushi was the survivor. We ended up getting another goldfish so he wasn't lonely. We named him Cheeto. I kept looking on Craigslist for a bigger tank. My husband didn't really understand how urgent it was to get them in a bigger tank, since I was the one researching. I found a 75 gallon with a stand for cheap so I immediately said we have to go get it. We set it up and moved the fish over the next day. I also moved our partially cycled filter over. My little inch and half fish looked so tiny in this HUGE 75 gallon tank. After a lot of work and learning, my tank finally finished cycling. Sushi and Cheeto were my little survivors.

I was (and still do) constantly going to my LFS and looking at all the goldfish. My little 10 gallon was going to be my plant tank. I wanted to keep growing my own plants like anacharis and duckweed for my goldies to eat, but one day I was this little black moor I couldn't leave at the store. Loki came home with me and lived in my plant tank for two weeks, before I moved him over to the main tank.

That's how I ended up with my 3 little goldies, but thanks to a fellow Koko's member (Crystal) I know have 4 little goldies! :) I just got Secret this last Sunday. He is currently in my 10 gallon QT tank. The other 3 are going through their first rounds of prazi. They started them on Sunday. 11-8-15

I'm going to post pictures from when I first got them till now in a little bit. I was apparently going to start a novel for my first blog entry... :yikes

Sorry if the pictures are huge. Photobucket isn't working correctly right now.

When Sushi and cheeto first moved to the 75 gallon. They we so tiny!! (not the best pictures)

80b20b3c-8a5a-4f70-961f-1f104d9b48da_zps

94ac38ab-604c-4aad-ba64-c2ff43322043_zps

All three of them

DSC00054_zps0tarswy3.jpg

and finally Secret in QT.

image_zpsizjypq0a.jpeg

Aw your guys are so cute! I didn't know Crystal was giving up Secret! Secret looks so much like my old baby Bamboo :heart

Thanks! I absolutely love them.Hopefully photobucket will work for me tomorrow so I can post more recent pictures.

Secret is so adorable and I love the story behind his name. I can't wait until he's in my main tank. Long story short Crystal and I had been talking since we both live in Minnesota and she saw I wanted another telescope and was thinking about rehoming him. I just got lucky since we live so close. I couldn't be happier. I have a new fish and a new friend. :)

I like seeing your photos! The second one down with Sushi and Cheeto is really cute. It's like they're doing a synchronized dance.  :teehee  

Thanks! I absolutely love them.Hopefully photobucket will work for me tomorrow so I can post more recent pictures.

Secret is so adorable and I love the story behind his name. I can't wait until he's in my main tank. Long story short Crystal and I had been talking since we both live in Minnesota and she saw I wanted another telescope and was thinking about rehoming him. I just got lucky since we live so close. I couldn't be happier. I have a new fish and a new friend. :)

:)  

Absolutely adorable!!

I feel the same way (turning into a GF lady) I started out with a 40b and 2 GF now I have the 40 a 75 a 20 and just picked up a 125 and 7 GF in just a years time lol.... My husband also said no.... You can see how that turned out :)

Edited by Cdionne77

I have them strategically placed throughout the house. The 75 is in my kitchen, the 40 is in my living room, the 20 in my sons room and the 125 will be going in my remodeled basement once the plumbing is done... I can honestly say I have no more room lol

I asked and he reluctantly agreed to allowing me to have a "fish room" when we move into a house. :) I want a 100g or a 120g tank reeeeally bad, but I know I won't stop there. I'll obviously need to have a couple other ones for other parts of the house. :rofl

He's starting to turn into a fish person as well though. He turned my original "plant tank" into his own fish tank. I think he was jealous. :teehee

That's the way to do it.   :teehee

And just feedback from one Koko's member: your photos aren't too big at all. Just right.

Edited by mysterygirl

LOL! Welcome to the crazy fish lady club :Jig: and my husband also says no to all the pets I want, but I still get them :happydance I love my zoo! Boston terrier, had a cat but he died earlier this year :( , tortoise, parrot :heart and 3 goldfish tanks! :nana

I loved reading your story and your pics :D I'm glad you found Kokos to feed your goldfish addiction :wub:

Great story & cute fish! Funny how that 10 gallon tank seems like a good idea at first - that's what I started with too, & now have a 75 gal. goldfish tank.  :)

Cute story and fish  :)   My partner wanted to get pet rats but as I have become obsessed with goldfish  he has turned over to having goldies.  We just picked up two more last weekend and he picked one out.  We have to stop.  It's so addictive because they are just so awesome  :teehee

Here are some more recent photo's.

3111b47d-4126-4e25-aab6-311b83e96ccb_zps

4c8e6b72-ffb2-4801-9c2a-10251a9532b7_zps

loki doesn't like his picture taken. :teehee

be34d0a6-3947-4181-bc08-2bc7afe4abbc_zps

bbbdf748-ee41-4225-8a31-825dff9ec7db_zps

Ahh they are so cute!

Beautiful finbabies!!!!! :hi

Thanks everyone! It looks like I'll be upgrading to that 100 or 125 gallon soon.  :teehee I always like "window shopping" on dandy ornada's and rain garden, but I am not allowed to do so anymore... There was this adorable telescope on DO and I've never actually placed a bid on there before, so I asked Mike (my husband) if I could do it and he said I could. Apparently no one else wanted to bid on him! Now I have another new fish coming here on Wednesday. I can not wait. I have a lot to do before it gets here though. I need to set up another QT. My water pump and hose needs to get here asap.

Your fish are adorable! Let me join you fish/pets fanatics club!

My parents with whom I currently live with while I wait for my apartment building to be build next block are firmly opposing my incesant attempts to turn their home into an aquapark and a zoo. I only have 2 dachshunds and 5 small tanks. Abroad I had a water turtle that I didn't want to put through the misery of a flight without water and gave to a friend. I badly want to get a new one and a hamster, and may be a chinchila. When I finally get to move out again I'll own a garage my parents think I'll keep my car in (I don't know where they get these ideas from, wheels belong in the street) but I'm so turning into a fish room.

Edited by begemi

I know that window shopping feeling! I've fallen in love with a calico tele but I just don't know if I can afford it...it comes to only $40 with shipping but money has been so tight lately...wish he turned up in two more weeks! I'd have the money then!

I really shouldn't have, but I couldn't resist! Mike told me last night "no more fish until we get a house" I just looked at him... :why:

:rofl

and just imagine how many tanks that house can 'house' :rofl 

fish are cute, hun... as is your story :)

Black Friday deals got the best of me. I purchased a 120g. 50% off I couldn't resist! Today I set it up and switched everyone over. While switching everyone over I figured this was one of the best times to introduce Secret. He fit right in! Everyone has been swimming around together since.

Black Friday deals got the best of me. I purchased a 120g. 50% off I couldn't resist! Today I set it up and switched everyone over. While switching everyone over I figured this was one of the best times to introduce Secret. He fit right in! Everyone has been swimming around together since.

I bet he's happy to have buddies again! :)