Kokos Goldfish Forum
begemi

Question on fry "upbringing"

Hi!

My fry are now a month old (gen-0) and soon to be one month (gen-1) and most of them look like this:

http://youtu.be/6I5gIF25fT0

But there are others that seem to be in some sort of arrested development and are still looking like that:

I've observed that with each they it is more difficult for them to get food and that bigger fry are sort of bulling them. Is there a chance for them to grow to normal size and develop correctly if I put them in another tank or would it be just an act of mercy thatvwouldn't make any differance? What do you guys think? I'm curious to read about your experience (culling aside).

I've seen one "breeder" on Instagram have this same issue.  The bigger fry ended up picking on the smaller fry enough to start killing them.  The individual ended up separating the larger fry from the smaller fry.  As they grew older, some of the "smaller" fry grew quickly and had to move to the bigger fry tank.  I think after 3 months they were all close enough in size to be in the same tank.

This isn't my personal experience -- just watched someone else in the same situation.  I'm all for "natural selection" in theory, because it helps us have healthier goldfish, but in actuality it's unbearable to watch fish pick on, starve, or kill another fish due to natural selection...

Interesting. I think I'll separate them for a month and see if they show any improvement. Apart from the growth issue they are very lively and have no aparent deformations. I hope it's for the best.

Yeah, if it were me and I had the space for a 2nd tank, that's what I'd do.  If they end up having deformities or something else going on, they won't make it anyways.  But at least they can be in peace and have a shot at life while they are alive :)

From your signature, seems like you've been breeding goldfish before, so I'm sure you've already thought to check for illness that may be causing the slower growth in some of them.  I've heard that flukes take out fry very quickly -- are you treating them with prazi at all?

I hope they all do super well for you! Don't forget to post pictures as they grow!  And hopefully someone else with breeding experience comes along and can give more advice :)

I generally keep my fry together, but I didn't have the space to separate them during any of my spawns. A noticeable amount of the tiny fry died as a result of getting eaten by their siblings, so if you don't want that you should probably separate by size. 

If you want to get everyone up to the same speed regarding growth, give the littler ones one extra feeding each day. They should catch up.

Yeah, if it were me and I had the space for a 2nd tank, that's what I'd do.  If they end up having deformities or something else going on, they won't make it anyways.  But at least they can be in peace and have a shot at life while they are alive :)

From your signature, seems like you've been breeding goldfish before, so I'm sure you've already thought to check for illness that may be causing the slower growth in some of them.  I've heard that flukes take out fry very quickly -- are you treating them with prazi at all?

I hope they all do super well for you! Don't forget to post pictures as they grow!  And hopefully someone else with breeding experience comes along and can give more advice :)

The fry I have are the result of my pair lf teles spawning in two consecutive weeks so I'm very green in goldfish breeding and trying to learn as much as I can on the go to keep the little fishies alive and healthy. I've got the European version of Prazi, Warmer plus, but was advised by Sharon aka Shikaho not to treat them. I trust her and was worried about the efect the drug my have on them being so tiny. I do 100%wc daily. Do not ask what it's like to have to scoop them out day every single day. Just can wait for them to get big enough so I can use a syphon to clean the tank. You can check out their progress so far in my blog here.

Sounds like  you're doing an awesome job.  And Sharon is a much more experienced keeper than I am, so I would listen to her.  Especially since my advice only comes from watching updates from other breeders, not from my own experience.  

I'll be sure to check out your blog to see their progress! :)

Sounds like  you're doing an awesome job.  And Sharon is a much more experienced keeper than I am, so I would listen to her.  Especially since my advice only comes from watching updates from other breeders, not from my own experience.  

I'll be sure to check out your blog to see their progress! :)

Thanks! I very much hope so. So far they are good. An upgrade on their tank is due next week.