Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
diggitydani

New Goldfish Quarantine Question

Hi all,

I just got two new fancies for my 90 gal aquaponics system, and they're currently in a 40 gal quarantine. Please excuse me if my questions seem dumb--I've never had fish in quarantine, and I'm more used to a large aquaponics system, so keeping just a regular aquarium is new to me.  

Anyway, I've had the new fish in there for about 5 days. I got them from the same place I got my last fish a year ago, though I'm not sure that's relevant. I have a basic aqueon filter, heater, aerator, plus a UV sterilizer (for a bacterial bloom that popped up a couple days in). I've been testing the water and Ammonia is at 0ppm, Nitrite is at like .25ppm, Nitrate is 10-20ppm. Overall, the fish seem to be doing really well, really cruising around the tank and keeping busy. 

So I have a couple questions

1. How long do I really have to keep these guys in quarantine? It would be SO much easier to have them in the aquaponics system, which mostly regulates itself, heh.

2. I've heard a number of people suggest treating new fish with prazi or salt as a matter of course, even with no symptoms. Is this recommended? They seem perfectly fine right now. 

3. I read somewhere I shouldn't have carbon in my filter. Why is that?

4. I'm not sure why there's always nitrite present, even though I've done 50% or greater water changes 2 times in the past 5 days. Is this normal?

5. One of my new fish is pretty small--about 1.5 inches long--and my older fish are closer to 4-5 inches long, including one wakin who has taken to chasing my female fantail around the tank. Should I be worried about him in the big tank?

Thanks so much for your help!

Dani

Edited by diggitydani

1)I QT for a minimum of 4 weeks, longer if any problems show up 

2)Treating with Salt and Prazi is a good precaution for new fish to help ensure they wont introduce any nasty things into your min tank and current fish :)

3)For me personally carbon is a waste of space and money, since it needs to be replaced often, I'd only use it for remove meds from the water even then I usually just do Water Changes to do so. I prefer filling the space the carbon would have been in with more sponge or ceramic media

4)I think this would just be because the tank isn't cycled, I usually do 100% water changes every 1-2 days for QTs and on the days I don't do WC I add a double dose of prime

5) I think that should be fine, I have a couple of fish only about 2 inches long in with a fish who is about 8 inches and there have been no problems :)

Please read this.

I got them from the same place I got my last fish a year ago, though I'm not sure that's relevant.

It's not relevant.

I've been testing the water and Ammonia is at 0ppm, Nitrite is at like .25ppm, Nitrate is 10-20ppm. 

Add a little salt to protect the fish from the nitrite.  Just a tablespoon total will do.

1. How long do I really have to keep these guys in quarantine? It would be SO much easier to have them in the aquaponics system, which mostly regulates itself, heh.

You can just toss them in the aquaponics tank.  I read the sob story of a guy who did that and lost all 40 of his goldfish.

2. I've heard a number of people suggest treating new fish with prazi or salt as a matter of course, even with no symptoms. Is this recommended? They seem perfectly fine right now. 

All goldfish have flukes.  Healthy fish typically have immunity to their own flukes.  That doesn't mean they are immune to the flukes carried by other fish.  By knocking out flukes with prazi you protect your existing fish from having to face flukes they have no immunity to.

3. I read somewhere I shouldn't have carbon in my filter. Why is that?

Carbon absorbs medications, including prazi.

4. I'm not sure why there's always nitrite present, even though I've done 50% or greater water changes 2 times in the past 5 days. Is this normal?

NOBs (nitrite oxidizing bacteria) seem take quite a while to establish themselves in a new tank/filter.

5. One of my new fish is pretty small--about 1.5 inches long--and my older fish are closer to 4-5 inches long, including one wakin who has taken to chasing my female fantail around the tank. Should I be worried about him in the big tank?

Probably not.  

Congratulations!!!!! Hope everything goes well with quarantine.

3)For me personally carbon is a waste of space and money, since it needs to be replaced often, I'd only use it for remove meds from the water even then I usually just do Water Changes to do so. I prefer filling the space the carbon would have been in with more sponge or ceramic media

I also don't use carbon unless to take out a medication. For basically the same reason FishyMandy wrote about here. I use more ceramic media and more filter fiber in its place.