Kokos Goldfish Forum

Hi,

I was wondering if any of you who has an unopened bottle of Seachem Prime at hand could do me a small favour. Could you take a pic of the seal, the plastic thingy you need to peel off to open the bottle and post it her for me to see? I know it's kind of strange thing to ask and I'll explain the reason for my request. I recently purchased a small bottle of Prime to use while I'm waiting for my order of Safe from UK to arrive. I said to my self: why not buy it here since it's available?. Probably very wrong idea as it is highly possible the bottle I bought has been tempered with, i.e. the seller opened it took half of it out, refilled it with water and sealed it again. Obviously the seller won't admit it so I need to figure this out myself. I don't know what I'm pouring in the tank and if it makes any differance at all. I took a sniff at it and it doesn't have the strong sulfur smell the Prime I had before had. Should I double the dosage or toss it in the garbage?

I'm sorry to bother you guys with this and I appologize if you consider this forum not to be the place for this kind of posts. Koko feel free to delete it if this is so. Thanks in advance to those of you who decide to grant my resquest.

I would toss it and buy from someone you trust.

I agree with Hidr, if you don't trust it, I wouldn't use it. The Prime factory seal is just a thin bit of styrofoam stuff glued around the edge, that would be real easy to mess with - it's not one of those plastic & foil things. I have a couple of bottles unopened at the moment, & took a pic of one:

Prime5353_zps2nncy3vn.jpg

Hi begemi -  I had an issue with an Ich medication that was inert/damaged. It didn't look the same as other purchases, and was not effective.

Our local fish store was honest, and agreed that something had happened and gave us a new (working) bottle as a replacement. If your seller is honest, they will replace it.

If not.....perhaps your suspicions are correct.

I've also bought something off Ebay where the seller did exactly what you suspect: fill the (in this case soap) container with 25% water.  

caveat emptor

Edited by mysterygirl

what a terrible position to be in. i am sorry that you are made to feel insecure about your purchase. this is such an important product to our hobby and i agree with others, if you are not totally convinced that the product is as it should be, then do not use it. take it back to the store and demand a replacement or refund.

I agree with Hidr, if you don't trust it, I wouldn't use it. The Prime factory seal is just a thin bit of styrofoam stuff glued around the edge, that would be real easy to mess with - it's not one of those plastic & foil things. I have a couple of bottles unopened at the moment, & took a pic of one:

Prime5353_zps2nncy3vn.jpg

Thanks a lot!

This is the last time I buy anything that is not equipment made in China from here. From what I've read in your comments this can also happen abroad. Ufortunately, here it has become a common practice. Complaining won't help as there's no way for me to prove what they did. It's clear to me that the thing does nothing to the water because after one time of using it and no change in my WC shedule Gogo got a fungus on his tail. Hopefully the Seachem I bought from Uk will arrive soon enough.