Kokos Goldfish Forum

Hi there ya all!

This may come as very dumb question but still I have to ask. Explanation comes frist though. I want to add some more bags of crushed coral to my hob filter and already have a bag that was left when I took apart my tropical aquarium. There I used it as gravel to cover the bottom. The one that I didn't I use I have converted in filter media. So the question is: can I use the coral that has been in my tropical tank or this is a bad idea and I should by new one? Should I boil it to sterilize it and be able to reuse it?

How long was the crushed coral in your tropical tank? Are you using it to stabilize ph or as biomedia?

How long was the crushed coral in your tropical tank? Are you using it to stabilize ph or as biomedia?

Hi Fantailfan1,

I use it to stabilize pH and it has been in the tropical tank for about 2,5 years.

As I understand it, crushed coral needs to be replaced every 4-6 months when used to stabilize pH.  :idont  I think it loses it's effectiveness over time . . . . 

Lisa, I can't find any suggestion that crushed coral loses effectiveness.  I suppose the particles could develop a thick biofilm that could inhibit the rate at which it dissolves. I checked the manufacturers to see if they recommended periodic replacement, and they don't.  Since they make money on replacement,  I tend to believe this.

I do worry about the safety of reusing crushed coral from another aquarium, although boiling should sterilize it.

crushed coral over time will dissolve in the water.... Over time it will loose its Ph effectiveness but this will take a long time... We used to believe that it will go down fast like over 6 months. But I have found it doesnt, its still there.. It does erode in the tank over time, this I have seen.

So should I boil it or just throw it away and buy new one?

crushed coral over time will dissolve in the water.... Over time it will loose its Ph effectiveness but this will take a long time... We used to believe that it will go down fast like over 6 months. But I have found it doesnt, its still there.. It does erode in the tank over time, this I have seen.

Koko by "erode" do you means it gets yellowish and rusty like?

No it wont do that.. Erode as like when you see a river Erode a bed away... Just washes down.. become crumble I guess you can say :)

No it wont do that.. Erode as like when you see a river Erode a bed away... Just washes down.. become crumble I guess you can say :)

Ah, ok. Turn into sand like. No nothing like that has happened.