Kokos Goldfish Forum
kiro

Water parameters, some handholding needed

Hello everyone, I have finally managed to do most of the move and will soon be able to start what I like to refer as my goldfish journey, in form of fishless cycling.

Before I start this, though, I'd really appreciate some help with my water parameters.

I tested the water we have today with API Freshwater drops, and got following results:

Ph: 7,4

Ammonia,nitrite,nitrate all 0

Gh: 71,6 (4 drops)

Kh: 53,7 (3 drops)

Now, as far as I know, the Ph is fine for goldfish, but the Kh anf Gh are problem, especially Kh as I believe ppm this low can easily result into Ph crash (I believe Kh and Gh between 100-150 ppm is desireable for goldfish tank?).

I am aware of the method to raise Kh with baking soda, and plan on using that to raise Kh, but I would like to hear a) what to do with the low Gh and b) that I have understood what I've read correctly and there isn't anything in my ramble here that makes you guys' alarm bells ring.

(someone please hold my hand this is scary and exciting  :krazy: )

Yep, you are right.  The KH is on the low side so I would try and raise it with baking soda.  As far as GH goes, I would look for a commercially available GH booster.  Something like this:

http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquarium-fertilizers-supplements/gh-booster.html

I realize you are not in the USA but perhaps you could find something similar where you are.

No alarm bells ringing here but please also check your tap parameters.  :D

Thank you Lisa!

These actually are my tap parameters, I will test the water I have left overnight in bucket today, just to see if the parameters have changed.

As for Gh boost, would this product be acceptable?They have it at the aquarium shop closest to me http://seachem.co.uk/product-category/plant/mineral-replacement/

They also have this product: https://www.thenutrientcompany.com/product/tnc-gh-boost/

Would either of them be acceptable?

Oh!  Gotcha!  :D

Yep, either of those products will do the trick.  :)

Thank you very much again Lisa :)

I will get some Gh boost then. And as small note, the water parameters are still exactly the same after water has sat on bucket for 24 hours, so I guess that's one less thing I'll need to think about.

Actually, I have one more question? 

When in future I'm doing partial water change, will I just add in the baking soda and GH boost needed for the amoutn of water I'm replacing, or..?

When in future I'm doing partial water change, will I just add in the baking soda and GH boost needed for the amoutn of water I'm replacing, or..?

I have the same problem with Gh and can't wait to read what answer you'll get. My guess is I should add the booster each time.

This is what I do. Periodically I do test kh and gh about 12-24 hours later to see if I've achieved the desired levels. If not, I'll put in more baking soda and/or GH booster.

Also, once a month or so, I'll do a 100% water change (or something very, very close to it like two 80% water changes back to back) in order to remove build up of the baking soda. I was having problems with one of my fish and when I started doing this, they responded really well.

Could you tell me what brand of baking soda you use? I see you live in Uk so this info can help me in sellec ting when I place my order.

Could you tell me what brand of baking soda you use? I see you live in Uk so this info can help me in sellec ting when I place my order.

I currently have brand called "the Pantry" and I just got it from common corner shop. As long as the incredient list/label just says "bicarbonate soda" you could use any baking soda you come across.

(Just to make sure, baking soda is used to raise KH. For low GH I use this product.)

Edited by kiro

Hmm this is all very interesting. I think I'll need to start a new topic as I've just started testing kh and gh. Quite daunting

With the bi carb, does the ph alter a lot when trying to get a higher kh?

Also would there be something wrong with the gh test kit if I was having to add 30 drops and only really seeing yellow...no orange or green (API kit)

With the bi carb, does the ph alter a lot when trying to get a higher kh?

I'm not confident enough to answer the GH question, but my ph was barely affected even though I had to raise kh from barely 50 to over 100. My plain tap water kh is 7,4 and with adding of bi carb the ph has risen and stays stably at 7,8.

Edited by kiro

pH will top out at 8-8.2 with baking soda.  It depends on your water/pH/etc.  :D