Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
begemi

Can't get myself to kill them

I know that they are probably going to suffer or be in a constant pain due to their deformities and its an act of mercy but still... I look at their tiny twisted and curved bodies struggling for life and I don't have the heart to put an end to their misery.

Today when I was changing the water I was determined to get done with it for once and for all and even got to the point of catching the two Barry Allens and then....I put them back with the others. When it comes to animals I just can't. I'd rather leave them alone and hope nature do its work. At this pace I might have to hire a professional fish assasin.

How do you guys deal with it? I found a video of howto humanly euthanize your fish. Well most likely there's nothing more human than to kill and destroy everyting on your path...I guess I'm just not human enough.

Sorry for the rambling. If you know a way that is not as brutal as pooring some chemical in the water and watch the fish agonize I would appreciate your sharing it with me.

Where have you been advised to pour chemicals in the water? A quick google search will advice clove oil and give you doseage.

Where have you been advised to pour chemicals in the water? A quick google search will advice clove oil and give you doseage.

Clove oil containes lots of thing apart from the actual oil.

Clove oil containes lots of thing apart from the actual oil.
Only in the same way that water contains minerals....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_of_clove

It is far from "pooring some chemical in the water and watch the fish agonize."

This forum has plenty of tutorials on how to use clove oil properly.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/114643-Euthanizing---A-Video-Demonstration.

Edited by Calamity

I recently had to use clove oil to euthanize one of my fish. I did it like the tutorial advises and it seemed to be peaceful and painless. As far as the clove oil, I believe you can get pure clove oil. I was able to find it at a store here. You may be able to find it online. 

This is what I used. You may not be able to order this from another country, but it shows an example of what I am talking about:

http://www.gnc.com/Now-Clove-Oil/product.jsp?productId=2274024&KPID=2805112&mr:trackingCode=DC2AA28D-1D3C-E311-89F9-BC305BF923E4&mr:referralID=NA&mr:filter=90337474394&mr:tid=kwd-90337474394&mr:ploc=9019612&mr:ad=89521438514&mr:iloc=&mr:store=&mr:device=c&mr:match=&CAWELAID=2274024&mr:adType=plaonline&mr:keyword=&pla=pla_2805112

Edited by goldfishgirl82

Also, I want to add that I understand and sympathize with your struggle. It is not an easy thing to do.  :hug

I've used Clove Oil several times and even before I understood the proper way after watching Helens video it was what appeared to be a peaceful death...they just fell asleep and then didn't wake up. It's never an easy thing to do and I've agonized over it..but what motivates me to take the step is remember when I didn't and the fish kept suffering and died anyway...I don't want them to go through anymore pain than they have too...if they are struggling and it's clear they aren't going to make it Id rather end it for them...even though its never easy and I always end up crying throughout the whole process and for hours afterwards.

Clove Oil is the most humane and least brutal method I know...it's certainly less brutal than dumping them in the freezer or boiling water or chopping heads off or crushing...it's so easy on the fish too and no fish I've euthanized have ever shown signs of distress during it. 

I also think if this was a cat or dog suffering this much...would I be letting it go on like that..or would I have it put to sleep..I don't want my fish to suffer anymore than I want my dogs or cats to suffer.

This is the clove oil we have in Australia

http://www.trustgoldcross.com.au/products/wounds-cuts-abrasions/product-line?id=1171

I couldn't bring myself to cull fry that were healthy but just not 'up to standard' but for me it was an easy decision to let them go rather than having them suffer if they were deformed or struggling...better to end it now when they are small rather than have them suffer through growth with those problems. 

Also, I want to add that I understand and sympathize with your struggle. It is not an easy thing to do.  :hug

I also sympathize - you wouldn't be keeping the little creatures if you didn't care about them; but when they reproduce in captivity, you are faced with the issue of what to do about culling. From what I've heard, the clove oil option is a humane way to deal with fish. 

You can buy 100% pure clove oil at a drug store or health food shop. Look at the ingredient list before purchasing. :) So no, you aren't dumping chemicals into the water.

Clove oil is the most humane way to euthanize a fish. If done properly, there is absolutely no pain. The reason Clove Oil is used is due to the compound Eugenol. Eugenol is used (in different forms) in a veterinarian's office to anesthetize animals. In plain terms: You are euthanizing with clove oil via anesthetic overdose.  ​I don't know about you, but I would likely want to go that way over any other: falling asleep and not feeling it.

I have euthanized fish in the past. No, it does not get easier. You are still having to help a pet to pass on, more than likely after a struggle with injury or illness. I can empathize with you that it is something nobody ever wants to do.  My personal opinion (and feel free to disagree) is that it is better to help bring peace than prolong suffering.

Culling is a 100% inevitability in raising fry. I'm sorry that we weren't clear on that earlier on and it led to so much heartache.

Edited by ChelseaM

Hi guys! Thank you for your simpathy. I know it has to be done sooner or later no matter how I feel I'll have to do what's best for them. Poor Barry Allens...

Clove oil was the first thing I looked in to after I had done some browsing through the wonderful articles that are available on Koko's. As it turns out the clove oil that is sold in pharmacies where I live contains everything else but clove oil, including perfum. Very naive of me to think this was what you guys use and was shocked you would recommend it. Now that I know I will check bio shops though it will most definately will be 5 times more expensive. Anyway, I do not intend to go cheap when it comes to my animal wellfair.

PS Sorry for the typos. My phone's spell check isn't my friend trying to correct everything to Spanish.

You can get 100% pure clove oil from Amazon, which is where I purchased mine. It is highly concentrated and affordable.

I know culling can be hard, but it is how we get fancy goldfish to begin with. Our splendid varieties of fish are the result of generations of strict and diligent culling to get from the carp to here. Pure clove oil is a great analgesic, and can work as an anesthetic even in human and small mammal surgeries. It numbs them before depressing their respiration. Very gentle way to go.

We don't want to be cruel to our fish. But the fact is that the very nature of keeping fancy goldfish means condoning the practice of humane culling. It can be hard to reconcile but it is crucial to maintaining the integrity of the stock. Also, culling allows us to provide better for the fish we have, by not overcrowding our tanks with more specimens than we can manage. In nature the deformed fish wouldn't have thrived anyway. I have a clutch of juvenile Cory cats and have about 30% of the original number (still about 40 fish). I engaged in ZERO culling. I reared them all. And still, the runts died. Some fish got stuck to the filter. A few thrived and the mysteriously began wasting. Even without my help nature found a way.

Culling is moving his process along more selectively, but in some ways is more humane than letting inferior or weak fish struggle and starve to death. But ultimately the choice is yours.

You can get 100% pure clove oil from Amazon, which is where I purchased mine. It is highly concentrated and affordable.

I'll look it up but it would probably take about a month to arrive and I think I shouldn't let it wait for that long. I'm going to a bio store tomorrow and hopefully they'll have what I need. Thanks for the advice anyway.

I'll look it up but it would probably take about a month to arrive and I think I shouldn't let it wait for that long. I'm going to a bio store tomorrow and hopefully they'll have what I need. Thanks for the advice anyway.

Sorry, I should have looked at your location. My mistake! Good luck. 

Some breeders keep a cull pond -- a pond with lots of water lilies and/or other plants where they dump the culls.  Those that have deformities that prevent survival will live their brief lives in a goldfish paradise.  The ones that can survive will grow and will do their own culling of subsequent culls.  I have a lotus pond where I discard deformed fry.

Bought it!

image_zpshsvze1u9.jpeg

Now the hardest part of all...

Ups...wrong side and picture of packaging

image_zps0uew7sfr.jpeg

:hug I'm glad you were able to find some. It's a good thing to keep in your goldfish med kit, too.

I hope it's not too difficult for you.

Thinking of you :hug I know its a hard thing to do but there is also peace in knowing they are no longer suffering

Thank you all for your moral support. I appreciate it. All fry that were deformed (3 in total) are now gone to a better place (I hope). I'll sure keep the Clove oil (smells fantastic, by the way, for a poison. Well cyanide does too...) but I do not intend to do any culling.