Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Butterfly

Compatible personalities

So I have 2 golfball pearlscales and an oranda in my main tank. These came from the same source and live well together. They are kind of bumbling goofballs. They take their time eating, each taking a piece of food, hanging out chewing, then search around for more kind of like blind squirrels. I am pretty sure the oranda is a female. She seems to enjoy bouncing the pearlscales around like beach balls (not aggressive, just like... Bump. Oops! Sorry, my bad! Haha...)

I have a ryukin in a QT who is similar size to the oranda. I am pretty sure he is male. He is a totally different personality. Like a shark. When I drop food in he has everything scooped up before it even gets halfway to the bottom. I could drop it at different ends at the same time and he'd still get it. When you walk by he's like Hey! Hey! You there, yeah You, I'm talking to YOU!

Anyway, so I'm getting to the point where I planned to put them together but I'm a little worried that the ryukin might get aggressive with the others or beat up my lady oranda trying to spawn. I've heard of and was warned about ryukins eating the wen of orandas so that is in the back of my mind too.

Would anyone else be concerned about putting them together? I'm thinking I will at least try it and keep a close eye on the situation. If he is too much I could put him in my pond but I'm a little bummed about that and a little worried doing it just as winter is approaching. Ergh.

Thoughts?

Thanks for reading,

I wouldn't be too concerned. Personality is just as much a fish-by-fish thing as it is a person-by-person one. So just take it slow and keep an eye on everyone. If you can, do a big WC and switch up the décor a little to put everyone on equal footing when you add him.

I've never heard of the ryukins eating wens before. Wen-eating is fish-specific behavior, and can't really be generalized like that, so it sounds like a wives' tale to me.

I don't know anything about ryukins eating wens, like Chelsea said I think is more like an specific-fish behavior thing..

Now..

I don't know how slow of fast are the pearlscales but if they're as slow as ranchus I would keep an eye of everyone's food intake

My ryukins & young orandas are the "speedsters" in the tank.. :feedme :feedme

Every day I have to feed separately my 4 ranchus because the speedsters rush in all directions to get as much as they can in their mouths leaving the chubby ones with no food.. My orandas weren't like that, they've learned it from the ryukins.. but know knows.. maybe your ryukin is a well mannered fish :P

Edited by 210 Oranda

How big is your main tank?  

I think it safest to keep one-sex tanks.  Even in a pond,  females get roughed up pretty badly when the ratio of males to females does not strongly favor the females.  If you want fry, put the parents together in a separate tank.  

Pearlscales swim very slowly, but I've never heard of one not able to get food.  Swimming speed has little to do with who gets to the food first.   The only goldfish in danger of not getting enough to eat in a tank with other varieties are the vision-impaired -- telescopes and those with wens blocking vision.

Thanks for all your thoughts.

I honestly hadn't even thought about trying to figure out the sex of the fish before I bought them.  Once I saw the breeding tubercles on my ryukin I thought to take a closer look at my oranda and pearlscales and I'm pretty sure they are all female as luck would have it.

The pearlscales are slow eaters, but I'm not too worried about them not getting enough.  The oranda is much pushier than the pearlscales (ie- race to the food, pearlscale is ahead and then oranda bumps pearlscale who goes floating off uncontrollably and oranda wins! LOL).  They do take their time chewing but I am usually able to scatter enough around the tank that I think they do well.

Here's the ryukin's pic.  Doesn't he look vicious?
DSC_1893.JPG

I guess I will try it when I am done with quarantining this guy.  I suppose at worst I will have to get another tank (!) to keep him in until the pond warms back up in spring.  It's not that cold now, but I just don't feel comfortable adding a new fish, even quarantined, to the pond at this time of year.

I agree that the time for introducing an indoor fish to the pond has passed for this year in your climate.  It really takes all of Fall for acclimation, and starting the fish in the pond in Spring adds a health boost that makes acclimation easier.

Instead of buying a new tank, why not put him in a 20 gallon tub?

Thanks for all your thoughts.

I honestly hadn't even thought about trying to figure out the sex of the fish before I bought them.  Once I saw the breeding tubercles on my ryukin I thought to take a closer look at my oranda and pearlscales and I'm pretty sure they are all female as luck would have it.

The pearlscales are slow eaters, but I'm not too worried about them not getting enough.  The oranda is much pushier than the pearlscales (ie- race to the food, pearlscale is ahead and then oranda bumps pearlscale who goes floating off uncontrollably and oranda wins! LOL).  They do take their time chewing but I am usually able to scatter enough around the tank that I think they do well.

Here's the ryukin's pic.  Doesn't he look vicious?

DSC_1893.JPG

I guess I will try it when I am done with quarantining this guy.  I suppose at worst I will have to get another tank (!) to keep him in until the pond warms back up in spring.  It's not that cold now, but I just don't feel comfortable adding a new fish, even quarantined, to the pond at this time of year.

He is beautiful! I hope everything works out for you :)

He is a beautiful ryukin! Looks so graceful

Ack!

So I did it. I added him to my main tank and after he assessed the surroundings and got comfortable he wouldn't stop following/chasing, nudging and squashing my oranda up against the glass. And he kept mouthing the sides of all of the girls too. Tank went from blissful peace to roller derby.

I let them be for a few hours and then couldn't take it anymore and took him out. He is such a nice fish who looks even better under my main aquarium light but I just don't want my oranda and pearlscales to get stressed/damaged.

Should I have given it more time? How have your fish acted when you added a newcomer? This guy is just slightly smaller than my oranda. I wish I had taken some video. The oranda didn't seems stressed (yet) but definitely was getting annoyed.

Yes, please give them more time. That, to me, sounds like friendly "hello, let me get to know you " behavior. It may appear slightly aggressive, but look at it through his eyes: he is a fish that came from a place with a ton of others and has been alone for the duration of his QT. He wants fishy contact.

Try rearranging the tank again see if that works... Sometimes changing the tank up will do the trick :)

He's just beautiful! I hope he settles in peacefully for you :)

Beautiful Ryukin!  Gimmme!    :wub:

I have a range of fish - and it is not bullying or aggression in my pond that I have to ameliorate...just the speed at which that they can find and consume food.

I feed them by hand, giving more to the bigger ones, special care to the slower ones.

Some would consider that too much involvement, but I find it necessary. 

Edited by mysterygirl

Have you tried him in the main tank again?