Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
begemi

Prime vs Amquel Plus - Which one's better?

Hi there guys!

I'm running out of water conditioner and this time I plan to go big in stocking ( buy like a 1gal of it) as it takes about 2 weeks to receive my orders and with holidays coming up it would probably take even longer. I used to use Prime as it came highly recommended by fish keepers online. I can't say it did miracles to my tap water as others claim.

A few months back I was looking for some medicated water conditioner and ordered Amquel Plus by mistake. I had very little Prime left so I decided no to cancel and give it a try. At that time Rory was having a fungus of some sort on her tail that I was trying to heal unsuccessfully with salt baths and Medicagold. Also had some issues keeping pH levels up and steady. A couple of days after I treated the water with Amquel the fungus disappeared and (to touch wood) my fish look healthier. No problem with very low pH either. I'd like to "hear" about your experience with Prime and Amquel. An advice on which one to buy will be much appreciated. By the way, the pH of tap water at my place is 7.

I have heard on many occasions that amquel causes pH fluctuations. I would want to raise your pH a little bit too, while 7.0 isn't terrible, goldfish prefer it higher. Prime I think is a better conditioner, but that's just me.

Whoops double post

Edited by Mikey

I think we have a misunderstanding. The tap water is pH7. The aquarium water is usually 7.5-7.8. I had to use some ph booster and later add some corral to my hob filter. The last was most effective in getting the right pH.

I have no idea if they differ in quality, but a 500ml bottle of Prime treats 5 times as much water as the same size bottle of Amquel Plus.

So may be I should go back to Prime. I'll see what others have to say.

I actually much prefer Seachem's Safe powder. It is extremely cheap per gallon and highly concentrated. Next I'd use Prime, then Amquel as a last resort.

I actually much prefer Seachem's Safe powder. It is extremely cheap per gallon and highly concentrated. Next I'd use Prime, then Amquel as a last resort.

Arctic Mama, isn't it difficult to measure the right quantity to disolve in water?

Nah, not really. They sell little 1/16, 1/32, and even 1/64 measuring spoons. Just keep one in the jar with it and use it to measure. A little overdose of it does no harm to the fish but it's so cheap it doesn't matter. And that it acts of nitrite and nitrate as well as ammonia is great.

It's hard to buy it much cheaper than this if you're dealing with a lot of water. Just keep it dry and sealed :)

http://www.marineandreef.com/Seachem_Safe_4_Kg_p/RSC03890.htm?gclid=CPy83Zrz28gCFYqBfgodJRYHaw

It's hard to buy it much cheaper than this if you're dealing with a lot of water. Just keep it dry and sealed :)

http://www.marineandreef.com/Seachem_Safe_4_Kg_p/RSC03890.htm?gclid=CPy83Zrz28gCFYqBfgodJRYHaw

Wow, that's a lot! I think I'm gonna buy the small jar first to try it out.I wonder if amazon.com would deliver to UK...

I use ascorbic acid (vitamin C).  It's even cheaper.

Wow, that's a lot! I think I'm gonna buy the small jar first to try it out.I wonder if amazon.com would deliver to UK...

that's what i was thinking as I bought a bottle of prime but everything over here is so expensive such as good HOB and likewise

I like Prime and I've also been using Pond Prime...it was the same price for the same size bottle but I only need half as much to treat my tank/pond. So its more concentrated than regular prime but not as concentrated as Safe

Not true and dangerous!  Seachem says that Prime and Pond Prime are exactly the same product.   They recommend a smaller amount in the pond because ponds typically have a greater surface to volume ratio than do aquariums and thus "gas off"  more chlorine. 

Oh wow...I did not know that...stupid me believed the store when I asked for safe they said they didn't have safe and that pond prime was more concentrated and I could use less of it in my aquarium :(:cry I'm sorry :(

I've been using regular Prime or the past few months but just bought Pond Prime again and means that there was a time for months when I was just dosing my tank according to the instructions on pond prime which is half the dose of regular prime :( Now I feel terrible

Edited by FishyMandy

It's all Seachem's fault.  The "cheaper version" of Prime was all over the forums a few years ago.  They could perfectly well market the large bottles of Prime as just plain Prime with separate instructions for dosage for ponds and aquariums.   It seems irresponsible to just assume that ponds have a greater surface area to volume ratio.  Some people build small deep ponds.   .

Argh I feel terrible now all those times I haven't been using it properly :( At least I know to just stick with what I know now

I'm sure your fish have suffered no harm.  The recommended dosage has to be about double the minimum required to protect fish to cover overly-sensitive fish.  I'm not actually sure that ponds should receive lower dosage than aquariums.  I consider Seachem to have behaved irresponsibly in this situation.

I use ascorbic acid (vitamin C).  It's even cheaper.

Sharon, could you tell me how much do you put per liter or gallon? Thanks.

Have used stress coat in the past. Now I use Prime.  Never tried the other one.

I don't know about Amquel. I currently use Prime. When I eventually run out of my supply, I plan to use Safe since it is just a dry version of Prime and is much more cost effective.

I'm now inspired! I just ordered some Seachem Safe and am excited not to constantly run out of Prime. Woo!