Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
begemi

Mangrove root problem

I decided to redecorate a small tank I used to keep my late betta fish and got a mangrove root from the aquatics shop I usually get all of my tank equipment. I kept it in a bucket for two weeks changing water every 2 days. The soaking didn't help much in its conditioning to be put in the tank, in the sense that after 2 weeks it was till dyeing the water brown. So I placed it in the tank with both heater and filter running, thinking the water movement and the heat would help the process. No fish in the tank at that time. It did. In another 2 weeks it stopped discoloring but then the actual problem presented itself. Happy it was finally ready to become part of a beautiful set up I took it out to clean the tank and discovered it was all covered with some white slimy stuff. Its been about 1.5 months since then and I have been regularly doing water changes (70%) and scrubbing the root clean. The white grossness reappears every time. What would you advise me to do?

Oh, forgot to mention that I also boiled it at a point for 3 hours in case it was some bacteria or fungus.

I'm suffering a similar problem. I was wondering if a bristle nose would deal with it. 

Some wood, goldvine in particular, will produce white looking mucus stuff when first submerged. If it is that stuff, it's harmless and will go away after awhile. In tropical tanks you often find catfish like plecos and corydoras eating it.

So you guys suggest I get Ursula and Upsala (my pleco) deal with it? I'll see how they like it and will report the result here. Thanks for the tip Dan in Aus!

So you guys suggest I get Ursula and Upsala (my pleco) deal with it? I'll see how they like it and will report the result here. Thanks for the tip Dan in Aus!

Not exactly. I think anyone that depends on a fish to eat algae or clean up will be sorely disappointed. Otocinclus, for example, are widely regarded for their ability to devour diatoms, but I never saw mine eat them when I had an outbreak.

Like most of the less aesthetically desirable things that pop up in aquaria, you'll find manual removal works best. :)

Not exactly. I think anyone that depends on a fish to eat algae or clean up will be sorely disappointed. Otocinclus, for example, are widely regarded for their ability to devour diatoms, but I never saw mine eat them when I had an outbreak.

Like most of the less aesthetically desirable things that pop up in aquaria, you'll find manual removal works best. :)

Scrub it every other day? Me not like.

I'd just wipe it off when you do your water change. :)

Just wiping it won't do. This thing only comes off with hot water and some serious scrubbing. I'll try to get a pic tomorrow morning.

Here it is:

image_zpsqntiioue.jpeg

It looks to be the same stuff. My piece of wood never needed scrubbing though, it just wiped off.

Eventually it will not reoccur. You'll need to continue to scrub it off periodically. Sorry about that. It is a nice piece of wood.

I really like the look of that wood! Hope the white fuzzy stuff stops appearing for you soon!

I really like the look of that wood! Hope the white fuzzy stuff stops appearing for you soon!

Thanks!

UPDATE: I scrubbed it for the upteenth time and is now again in my betta tank. I'll be adding some more plants as soon as I get my hands on my salary. I'll post some pics ( of the tank, not the money).

I did have a piece of driftwood that did that for quite a while.  Eventually, I left it alone and it went away. :)