Kokos Goldfish Forum
KiwiSugar

Ammonia in tap water

Hi, my tap water reads traces of ammonia straight from the tap

so my tanks, my ponds all show traces

what can I do

thanks

You can use Prime for your dechlorinator, it will detoxify up to 1ppm of ammonia for 24 hours which should be long enough for your Beneficial Bacteria to cycle it out :)

Define trace amounts.

What Mandy said. My tap water usually has anything from 0 to 0.50ppm ammonia in it, but it's not that big a deal to me with Prime and a cycled filter.

To determine if you actually have a problem, test the ammonia in your tank before and immediately after a water change.  If you get a reading other than zero, test again an hour later.   If the latter test shows zero ammonia, you have no problem.  If you get an ammonia reading, get back to us.

I have 1.0 ammonia right out of the tap, & use double Prime when doing water changes. It's always processed out by the beneficial bacteria by the next day.

Hi,   thanks for the response 

I do use prime, hadn't thought about double dose,

Always shows 0.25ppm

haven't had a different result for a month in any pond, tank or bucket

this pond is 1000 litres, I did a hundred percent water change, Left filter didn't clean it, tested that afternoon and next morning they were all the same. And near daily since, no change

I thought once I sorted it out in this pond, I could work on others

Read about zeolite help, needed 10kilo for that size in a (diy drip feed from bio canister filter), recently cleaned filter, been about two weeks now and no change.

My test kit is ok until 2017 (do the go off) ph around 7.4 - 8 

I have taken the fish out waiting for it to become stable......but tanks read the same too

any ideas?  I know is ok and bad ammonia...........I just want 0.0 lol

If ammonia is .25 and 0 when you do a 50% change it would only be .125 so I would not worry much about it. Personally I just wouldn't feed them til the next morning to avoid extra ammonia for that time period. Ad noted, prime will make it a non issue.

Get some distilled water and test for ammonia.  Some people have trouble distinguishing the results on this test.

How many fish do you have in the pond and what filtration do you have?