Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
begemi

Help! They did it again. How do I make them stop?

Now this is turning into a goldfish keepers nightmare. Guess what? Yes, they have spawn again as they have been doing every Tuesday for 3 weeks in a row. My female, for I can tell, is already fed up by the male who wouldn't leave her alone. I'm a bit worried that she may get sick or something as all this spawning must be bringing her to exhaustion. I'm on the virge of taking Gogo out squizing him dry of his thing as they do on that horrid video about manual breeding I found on youtube, and put in him back in. I have no spare tank ( the on I had is already taken by the fry) and I don't have a place to put it otherwise I would have separated them long ago. I thought may be lowering the temperature of the water could calm him down? I currently have it at 76F. If there's been any temperature flow it was never more than a degree or two. Please tell me what to do. Thank you!

Just leaving the parents in with the eggs pretty much assures they all get eaten. If you're worried about the exhaustion of the female you can float a plastic colander or breeding box in the tank and give her space to rest where she won't be chased.

76F is high for goldfish. Mine in the pond start to think of "getting it on" above 70F. Can you lower it to 63-66F?

Just leaving the parents in with the eggs pretty much assures they all get eaten. If you're worried about the exhaustion of the female you can float a plastic colander or breeding box in the tank and give her space to rest where she won't be chased.

Exactly what I did this time. They are having a feast now. The breeding boxes I found online are all rather small for her. I guess they are intended for fish that are not that big. Would she be ok if she stays in one for a while?

76F is high for goldfish. Mine in the pond start to think of "getting it on" above 70F. Can you lower it to 63-66F?

Too high? I read that 78F is the best tempperature for goldies. I have started lowering the temp in the tank about a degree every other hour so the change wouldn't be to sudden. I'm afraid to go bellow 70 as they have always been at 76F ever since I got them.

Keep your fish at room temperature.  Goldfish have a much wider comfort range than we do and water temperatures vary less from the average than do air temperatures.  

All suggestions of ideal temperatures for goldfish have been copied from a source, that was copied from a source that eventually goes back to a guess.  Research on an ideal temperature for goldfish does not exist.

Actual research shows common goldfish can survive long-term exposure to temperatures from a fraction of a degree above 32oF to 106oF.  However, fish acclimated to high temperatures can't handle the lowest end of the range and those acclimated to low temperatures can't handle the highest range.   Fancies have a somewhat smaller range, but I can assure you that mine thrive at water temperatures averaging the mid eighties in the summer.  Also most US breeders in areas that get cold in the winter routinely submit their fancy goldfish to temperatures below 50oF in winter to synchronize spawning in the spring.  

Other research indicates goldfish grow better in a temperature that varies between day and night than they do at any constant temperature.  

The breeder boxes are on the smaller side. But if you have one on hand use it. If you don't, a colander is a better fit. They're these handy kitchen tools:

http://m.target.com/p/room-essentials-medium-plastic-colander/-/A-13793705

Too high? I read that 78F is the best tempperature for goldies. I have started lowering the temp in the tank about a degree every other hour so the change wouldn't be to sudden. I'm afraid to go bellow 70 as they have always been at 76F ever since I got them.

Your 78F temp is not at all "too high" as Sharon has noted. 

Our Sonoma summers are quite warm and that temperature change from cool winter water temperatures causes a breeding free for all in the pond. It lasts until August. Once the pond temp hits 70F it is "on" and the fish program to breed kicks in. That is just based on my observation over 3 years, perhaps not relevant to your tank. Because my area has strong day to night temperature fluctuations, they breed much later in the season than is common elsewhere, as the cold-to-warm signal is being sent again and again. If your tank is constant at 78F with some night dips in temperature - I thought they might be in "breeding mode" all the time. It is not easy to cool a tank in many places. Here, we just open the windows to the cool night sea air.

Interesting observations.  This year I noticed my fish pretty much stopped spawning in September while in the past I have had a steady production of fall babies.  We had normal temperatures that differed little from September to August, but we had record rainfalls for both months.  Goldfish often spawn in response to rain.  It makes me wonder if they got "spawned out" in August or perhaps the heavy daily rains cooled the water, simulating fall.

I agree with those who said if you don't want fry, let them eat the eggs. I also agree with keeping the fish at room temperature. A drop from 78 to 70 over a day will not hurt the fish at all. In fact I would not hesitate to take my fish down from 78 to 70 with no time lapse. Fry are fun and annoying at the same time huh?!

The breeder boxes are on the smaller side. But if you have one on hand use it. If you don't, a colander is a better fit. They're these handy kitchen tools:

http://m.target.com/p/room-essentials-medium-plastic-colander/-/A-13793705

Great idea! I'll get one of these. Thanks!

I agree with those who said if you don't want fry, let them eat the eggs. I also agree with keeping the fish at room temperature. A drop from 78 to 70 over a day will not hurt the fish at all. In fact I would not hesitate to take my fish down from 78 to 70 with no time lapse. Fry are fun and annoying at the same time huh?!

I don't find fry annoying in any way. They are just tiny innocent creatures that require a lot of work and time I don't mind investing in. The main and, in fact, only problem is that I don't have were to "house" them. For the very same reason I only have 2 telescopes and two baby ranchus instead of 25 I would love to be able to keep. I may as well end up having that much fish considering the number of fry That came from the 2 spawnings.

What is a real pain in the rear is cleaning the tank after Gogo and Rory have been getting jiggy with it.

Turns out I started an intersting topic for discussion.

All summer long fish were at room temperature as the weather is really warm here, about 105F so I had the heater off. I turned on in mid September when it got cooler and water temperature in the tank started to drop. Anyway, I lowered the temperature gradually to 73F to be on the save side. They seem to be doing fine. Hope nothing happens come Tuesday.

Oh, not AGAIN! They've spawned again and as I write the male keeps chasing the female who's dropping eggs like crazy. I think I'll have to give my female away or swap it for another male.

Colander. Seriously.

Done! Crazy pants is officially restrained. Looks fair to put him in the strainer so that the poor girl can have a swim in peace

image_zpszbwncvbk.jpeg

How long can I keep him like that?

Done! Crazy pants is officially restrained. Looks fair to put him in the strainer so that the poor girl can have a swim in peaceimage_zpszbwncvbk.jpeg

How long can I keep him like that?

I hope little silly doesn't jump out while I'm at work.

When my boy was getting too rough with my girl I'd float him for an hour or so in the colander and he would get the message and calm down

When my boy was getting too rough with my girl I'd float him for an hour or so in the colander and he would get the message and calm down

Thanks FishMandy! Just the time before I leave for work

Spawning feaver appears to have cooled off for now.

Colander. Seriously.

Just got back from work and things seem to have cooled out. They are very busy egg hunting. Someone is not having dinner tonight. I've been meaning to ask you - should I do a water change every time after spawning or I can wait a couple of days? Next water change is due on Tuesday. My tank is slightly overstocked so I do my best to do a WC every 5 days, replacing about 80% of the water. So far I have always changed water afterwards.