Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
yamix

Feeding Daphnia?

I purchased some daphnia by Hikari for my GF. I was surprised how tiny daphnia is. How do you administer the feeding to GF? Do you just sprinkle the daphnia in the tank water or do you add it to a paste or gell food?

TIA!

Kyle

It depends on the size of the fish really.Fish that are quite small would eat the daphnia if you sprinkled it in the tank.Large fish may need the daphnia put into a paste or gel food.Fish will only go after food at least a certain size but not bigger than a certain size so what fish will go after is usually relative to their size.The only way to find out is to sprinkle a small amount in the water and if they eat it then its fine to feed that way but if they dont then you may want to try a gel or paste recipe. :D

Sounds reasonable. I noticed that my 2"+ GF will eat a little, but will mostly pass on it since it's so small.

Do you know of an easy gel recipes? I have the Japanese Paste food from Goldfish Connection, but it tends to be messy in my tank.

K--

Yamix, the following is the receipe that I usually make -

- 1 lb smelts or other fish (salmon not to often due to the high fat content)

- 12 oz frozen peas and carrots (digestion and color enhancer)

- 2 large red bell peppers (color enhancer)

- 12-16 oz frozen chopped spinach

- 8 oz plain wheat germ

- 2 1/2 tsp dog vitamins

- 16 envelopes plain powdered gelatine (each envelope contains 1/4 oz each)

- you can also add up to a dozen eggs

Liquify the first 4 ingredients in a blender, adding enough water for sufficient blender operation. Place the mixture in a large pot, add the wheat germ, and heat until warm, stirring continuously. When warm, add the gelatine, stirring continuously to avoid lumps. Then add vitamins powdered, cool and refridgerate.

I also add ingredients here and there, like bloodworms, brine shrimp, krill and daphnia.

Once the mixture is solid and rubbery, cut into slices and freeze. Defrost the slices lightly as neededd, cutting into convenient cubes before feeding to your fish. That mixture makes about 1 gl food.

At first my mixture was a bit too watery, I must have added to much in the beginning of the procedure. I just add now 20 envelopes of gelatine instead of the 16, and its so much better now...

Enjoy! (Do I need to mention that your kitchen might look a little *stressed* when you are done, or is that just my cooking style? :rofl )

Hi Ranchugirl,

Thanks for the recipe! It sounds like your are an "Iron Chef" for GF! :D

I have a question regarding the dog vitamins? Are these just general dog vitamins that you get at a pet store and grind up? What vitamins are in these. I don't have a dog so I would prefer to use vitamins that are around the house.

Also, do you liquify the entire smelt, bones and all?

Sounds like this recipe make a ton of food and good cost saver.

K--