Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
begemi

Fry food - brine shrimp - what else is good?

Hello,

It's me with the uptheen post this week. Sorry if I'm starting to annoy you guys with all my questions but I'm struggling here to keep my fry alive.

So my latest panic attack is over a batch of brine shrimp eggs that I've been "cooking" for more than 24h already without them eggs showing any intention what so ever of turning into shrimp or any edible creature I could feed to my poor fry that, by the way, I suspect are beginning to starve. I've set a new hatchery inside a nano tank I'm getting ready for a betta, hoping that I'll be successful in bringing at least this one to life by tomorrow.

The first one I set is in a plastic bottle placed in a bean's can filled with hot water I replace regularly. Just to be on the save side, I'm also running my rooms' heating full blast and I now officialy live in a self-made Turkish bath (it's15 C outside (~60F))...to no result...egg-hatching wise.

So my question is. I still have some eggs left (it was a pre-mix I got). Can I feed them to the fry? Is there any type of food I can start them on before anything hatches? May be grind some Hikari or NLS goldfish pellets?

Hikari first bites.

Ocean nutrition baby brine shrimp.

Hikari frozen baby brine shrimp.

Daphnia.

Micro-worms.

And fry starter (cant recall the brand atm its in my fish room and ive turned the light off for the night)

Just a few options.

All are messier in the tank than actual live foods ie. Baby brine shrimp, daphnia and microworms.

The frozen stuff and the powders etc can make the tanks alot messier.

Do you mean dry daphnia? Cause I got that. I'll see what can I get delivered for tomorrow. I'll suck up what they don't it. Mess is my last problem right now. Thanks for the advice!

Can you tell me exactly how you are trying to hatch the brine shrimp??

My easy method for it is.

An old esky. And a aquarium heater.

Set heater to 27/28°c.

Place heater into esky fill with tap water and turn on.

Get a glass vase with a heavy base and place into esky.

Place a heaped Tbl spoon of salt into vase and approx a level teaspoon of bbs cysts.

And then put approx 1L of aquarium water (steal it from a tank).

Throw an airline into the vase and turn on air pump and get nice big bubbles. Don't use an Air stone as the salt etc clogs it up pretty quickly for some reason.

Just have nice big bubbles.

Then wait approx 24-36hrs (first batch generally longer due to heating of esky water)

After that approx 24hrs to hatch.

I usually have 3 vases on the go.

*edit. - be sure to keep the esky water level the same or higher than the vase/jar water level so as to keep them warm (and so the heater doesn't burn out)

** i lay my heater down. I dont stand it up as it would be too tall.

Just stick it to the bottom.

Edited by blackmoors

Cooked egg yolk, spirulina powder, the "dust" from the bottom of a fish food container, green water. My fry do best in a duckweed tub. They can't eat the duckweed, but thrive on the tiny creatures that live on the duckweed.

A cheap pepper grinder does a good job of pellets.

dont think dried daphnia would be as good. Probably too much protien etc lost via the drying process.

Live daphnia or frozen.

Sorry for the dumb question but what's esky? I wait till tonight to see if the brine shrimp doesn't cook in the end. If naah, I'll give them some spirulina off the bottom of the jar I have as Sharon suggested.

Ah yep lol sorry its an Aussie term.

Hmm i guess in the Us theyre called a cool box? Or chill box?

Basically the insulated container youd put drinks into when you went camping or on a picnic (tailgating?)

Hope thats right? If not anyone??

Ok, I get it. I just ordered some pure artemia (brine shrimp) and baby fish food. I'll see if I can borrow my dad's cooler for my next shrimp hatching attempt. Doubt it that he'll be willing to contribute to the cause using it to chill his beer and all...

An esky is a cooler in the US. ;)

Not sure if you can get it where you are, but Repashy Spawn and Grow is a good fry diet, as well as a gel made of mushed frozen bloodworms and gelatin.

Hi Begemi,  maybe the cysts are overheating?

Here is a simple method I used to hatch brine shrimp with great success.

In the mean time a tiny bit of egg yolk will do, or any pellet crushed into a powder.