Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
begemi

In need of advice on catching and moving fry

Hi guys!

As it all started by accident (I didn't expect my goldies to spawn and when I saw the eggs I was in a hurry to get them out before they became their mom & dad breakfast). I never expected the eggs to hatch so I just dropped the eggs I managed to fish in time in a small tank that is now covered with some grose white stuff. I want to catch the fry, clean the tank and put them back in. They are know all swimming so I guess it's good time to do the relocation procedure. I thought I could suck them out with the straw I used to remove eggs that were not fertilized but I worry that they may get hurt by the suction. May be catch them with a small plastic cup? I would very much appreciate any tips on how to do it.

I moved my fry in a small container which worked well but was quite difficult lol...but I also sucked up fry quite a few times with airline tubing during water changes and they ended up swimming around just fine 

You can suck them up with some airline tubing. It's honestly easier than using a container. (I have done both!) and they should be fine at their current size.

If you are willing to risk sucking up fry with an airline, be sure the height difference is only small, if the current is too strong you will definately damage the fry.

I only scoop fry with a small bowl or spoon though.....

Thank you all for the advice! I think I'll try to scoop them with a small plastic glass I have. There are only about 15 fry so I want be at it the whole day. If the glass doesn't do the job I'll try the airline trick. I'll keep you posted how the move went.

I use a little coffee scoop to catch them.  I wouldn't use a tube.  Put them in very shallow water and move them to a fresh container of water every other day.

I keep putting aquarium salt every time I change the water, right?

I use a little coffee scoop to catch them.  I wouldn't use a tube.  Put them in very shallow water and move them to a fresh container of water every other day.

No, I wouldn't use salt.

They can be pretty fast so a cup can become tdious work.

I use a large plastic pipette that ive cut the end off to give a larger opening.

Its faster and i haven't had any issues with any of mine so far.

They can be pretty fast so a cup can become tdious work.

I use a large plastic pipette that ive cut the end off to give a larger opening.

Its faster and i haven't had any issues with any of mine so far.

Thats a great idea! I'll see if I can get one from the local pharmacy. Thanks for the tip!

If not. Try ebay.

I bought a bag of 100 for the same cost of one at the chemist /pharmacy.

Just a quick report cuase I have to head for work in a bit. Moving went well. No casualties. No dead bodies in the water which was a great surprise. There's just one little guy who has a bend and looks like high voltage sing but is so vital. I didn't have the heart to give him one-way ticket to the sewer and I decided to keep him and call him Barry Allen. I'll post some pics on my blog page here later this week on my day off.

Little problems become big problems very quickly when little fish grow bigger. I would euthanize the fry with the bent spine to prevent further suffering.

Please don't flush them. Instead you should always euthanize the fish with clove oil and throw them away with the refuse or bury them in the garden.

Sorry to inform that Barry Allen passed away. I wound it dead yeaterday.