begemi

Oh my! I see eyes in those eggs. What do I do know?

22 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!

I have been away from the forum for a while due to too much things to do at work. Anyway, the other day I woke up to find the bottom of my telescopes' tank completely covered with eggs. I was prety sure both fish are female but still decided to put some in a small 1gal tank I had laying around just in case I was wrong. I tried not to keep my hopes up especially when on day 2 I discovered many of the eggs had turned white. Readinh here and there I found out this means they were not fertilized. Still so e of them looked to me rather transparent so I overcame the urge to pour it all in the toilet in disappointment and only scooped the white eggs. And yesterday to my dismay I saw something black inside the eggs I kept! I have already ordered some brine shrimp and prepared a self-made hatchery but I'm competely at a loss what to do once they hatch(if they do). I read here that the tank should be at least 5gl. Can Itransfer them to a bigger container? Should I do it now or wait till they hatch? If I keep them in the small tank when should I change the water? Is it ok if I replace some of the water with fresh one now? According to my calculations they should hatch on Monday. Please help! Any advice will be very much appreciated.

Wait until they are free swimming to transfer them. This will allow you to move them without hurting them. Suck them up using some airline tubing as a siphon and transfer them to a tank filled with only an inch or two of water. Keep them warm, and they should begin to grow. Over the course of the next few weeks, you can raise the water level slowly, but right after hatching and filling their swim-bladders, they are prone to issues with buoyancy. 

Ok, will do! Thank you very much!

Accidental spawnings are quite the adventure - congratulations!

They've hatched! So tiny and still sti king to the bottom of tank. Is that normal? I saw a few sort of stending up on their tails...

Oh, thank you guys! I hope they make it

They won't start swimming for a day or two or three.  Congrats!

Post a pic of them and you'll get a breeder's medal.  :D

A medal? I don't think I deserve one. Was on my way to flush the whole thing down the toilet when I decided to have a look with a magnifying glass just to be sure.

I'll post some pics along with the questions I have.

A medal? I don't think I deserve one. Was on my way to flush the whole thing down the toilet when I decided to have a look with a magnifying glass just to be sure.

I'll post some pics along with the questions I have.

:rofl  That's how many of us get our breeder's medal.  :rofl

Post away!!  You deserve it.  :D

Let me introduce the newbie Mum and paps:

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae112/mibegemi/image_zpsrtdl09if.jpeg

And here is the tank where are curently have all new-born fries:

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae112/mibegemi/image_zpsryzyuhkr.jpeg

I added some salt in the water just the night before they hatched( as always following the instructions I found here. Needless to say this forum has been of great help) but was afraid to put any methylene blue.

As soon as they get "mobile" I'm planning to get them out and clean the tank. Now it's absolutely grose on the bottom because I took out the eggs that weren't going to hatch very late and some white stuff formed. I managed to clean it a bit but I guess it's not good for the fry.

And here are the stars of the moment:

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae112/mibegemi/image_zpsfysdwvzc.jpeg

This is the best I can get with my phone's cam.

Would it be ok if I add some more water? You can see the water level on the picture. I want to change the air stone for the sponge filter on the pic ( http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae112/mibegemi/image_zpsryzyuhkr.jpeg ) because I think its better for the fry.

As it all happen so fast and was absolutely unexpected, I didn't have a heater to place in the tank. I ordered one now for the time when I transfer them again to a bigger home. The temperature is 21C (~70F). Shoud I take some water out and add some warm water?

Sure you can add more water. I never used a sponge filter with my fry, just an airstone. You can add the sponge filter if you'd like but I would wait a bit. :)

I'd say that temp is good. :)

UPDATE: To my surprise all fry are still alive.

LATEST NEWS: To my terror Rory ( now it is finally clear who's the female) has spawn again. I was sort of bugged this morning to find the tank all messed up with eggs considering I had done the 70% WC the day before. Don't know why I was under the impression goldies would spawn once every 6 months. Mine go for it every week...on Tuesday.

UPDATE: To my surprise all fry are still alive.

LATEST NEWS: To my terror Rory ( now it is finally clear who's the female) has spawn again. I was sort of bugged this morning to find the tank all messed up with eggs considering I had done the 70% WC the day before. Don't know why I was under the impression goldies would spawn once every 6 months. Mine go for it every week...on Tuesday.

You must have the Magic Goldfish water.... I could only get mine to breed twice :rofl

Oh, don't know what I have but if it happens again next week I'll have to separate them

How is your female doing with all the spawning? Is she starting to tire out?

She seems ok for now but I'm keeping a close eye on her.