Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jenniferhackler

three small growths on body/wen of oranda

I have had this fish for three years now. He developed a case of popeye and dropsy almost exactly a year ago, which was remedied with metronizadole as per recommendations on this forum and he hasn't had any relapses since. Over the past few months, I've noticed he has developed three small white growths. They just look like tiny witeheads but no redness or protusion. They don't seem to be growing... if they are, its minimal. I am adding pictures. He is not affected by them, but the one on his wen concerns me because I have previously lost a fish to an abcesss (although this looks nothing like the abcess my other fish had). He is in a 55 gallon tank with one other fish and 12 times filtrations. Anybody have ideas? 

1zq6f7q.jpg

4j4x77.jpg

zx8mm8.jpg

I think we may need a clearer view of the wen one if you can just to put your worries at ease. So they showed up a few months ago and they've looked like this the whole time?

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

And no, they showed up slowly over the past few months but haven't changed in the last month or so

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank) 0

* Nitrite Level(Tank) 0

* Nitrate level(Tank) 0 (just did a huge water change)

* Ammonia Level(Tap)0

* Nitrite Level(Tap)0

* Nitrate level(Tap)0

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)6.5

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 6.5

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drop

* Water temperature? 65

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55 gallon, 4 years

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 1 aqua clear 70, one Aqua clear 110

* How often do you change the water and how much? 80-90% once a week

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? This morning, 90%

* How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 large orandas (5-8 inches)

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime

* What do you feed your fish and how often? Rep ashy, veggies, hikari purple bag

* Any new fish added to the tank? No

* Any medications added to the tank? None

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. A few Prazi rounds about twice a year, last one was several months ago. The fish in question developed dropsy last year but recovered with metronidazole and Epsom salt and hasn't relapsed

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Just the growths

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? None. Acting normal

Looks like some protein buildup. But someone else with more knowlegde will stop by soon

protein buildup? Never heard of that before... can anyone give me some insight on this? is it harmful?

Sorry I thought I had responded on this!

Until the fish is showing some sign of distress or there are changes in them (rapid growth, red around the rim, it visibly pops) just keep in clean water. I can't really tell you whether it is a cyst or a growth or a blister but either way there is no real treatment yet aside from keeping the water clean. :)

Sorry I thought I had responded on this!

Until the fish is showing some sign of distress or there are changes in them (rapid growth, red around the rim, it visibly pops) just keep in clean water. I can't really tell you whether it is a cyst or a growth or a blister but either way there is no real treatment yet aside from keeping the water clean. :)

Ok, thank you! :)

Hi there! Unless something changes, I would remain unconcerned about them. They're a bit like fish milia.