Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Jes

Cycle problems!

8 posts in this topic

Hi,

Oh my goodness I feel so stupid!! I never turned my filter back on when I did a water change on Monday. How did I not notice!!! I have never done that before. Will my cycle be ok??

Thanks guys

I'd at least expect a bump, Hopefully some of your BBs survived! I'd keep a close eye on the water parameters to see what's going on with them. 

I would also expect a bump but I doubt you lost the entire colony of bacteria. I would just test for ammonia and nitrite daily for a while

If the media stayed wet, I would expect a minor bump as others said.  If the biomedia dried out, you've most likely lost the cycle.  

Even so ive found a filter that had died and the media was pretty dry etc. I gave it all a rinse in a bucket with some tank water and fired up a new filter (old media) and the cycle got going alot faster than originally.

Had to do more regular water changes still. But it didn't take weeks only a few days.

I guess that's the true blessing of ceramic media and its porus-ness (sp?) It may seem dry outside but just enough moisture inside for some bacteria to survive.

Its also the advantage of leaving some algae on the tank glass etc

I've never had a cycle bump from a turned-off filter.

I've never had a cycle bump from a turned-off filter.

Only time this happened to me is when we had Fires in CA... The power had turned off for 3 days... and the filters smelt like a sewer so did a water change and dumped the water in the canister and HOB... Did get alittle bit of a bump but not enough to cause me any issues :)

Ok I will keep a close eye on things. Thanks for your help guys!! :)