Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Butterfly

Online goldfish purchasing

Hi,

I knew about Dandy Orandas and Rain Garden and found out about East Coast Ranchu through this site.

Not ready to buy, but enjoy browsing.

Some general questions for those in the know...

Does East Coast Ranchu have black or mostly black calico ranchus ever?  Most I've seen since I found out about her site are lemon or red/orange. 

What happens with the few Dandy Oranda fish that aren't sold through the auction?  All saved for the special sales I hear about?  I have signed up for their newsletter but haven't received it yet.  They go for so much!  Not that they aren't worth it, but WOW!

Just curious.

Thanks!

Ken, who runs Dandy Orandas, will mix fish from prior auctiions that don't sell into future auctions. A lot of the major sales are for fish that are otherwise imperfect, such as the 'scratch and dent sale' for fish whose fins don't heal perfectly from shipping damage from china, or have other flaws that make them 'non-show-able' fish. He often has shipping discounts depending on the time of year, as well.  

Cynthia, who runs ECR, sometimes has a batch or two of calicos or a couple blacks in a batch. It is something you definitely can inquire to her directly about when it comes time to decide on what you want to purchase. She's really friendly and would likely be happy to help pick out your dream chu.

Hi!  DO and ECR are both great places to get goldfish from.  DO has the higher prices, but he also has the most variety.  From what I've seen/heard, ECR fish seem to come in the healthiest.  Please note, I've not personally ordered fish from DO or ECR, but I follow many people (20+) on Instagram who have, and I've watched the fish come in to their new home and seen their progressions over time.

Also, check out Coast Gem USA.  I've recently purchased 2 ranchu's from them, and I've watched 5 other Instagram accounts purchase fish from them in the last few months.  I'll note, they do not have the quarantine standards that DO and ECR do, so you'll want to make sure to QT to the fullest extent with them - minimum of 4 weeks for sure.  One of my ranchu's also arrived with dropsey (Noticed it while he was still in the bag :ill ), and he's being treated for that.  I am just mentioning Coast Gem because they have lower prices while still having decent fish, and they were very accommodating and easy to work with.

Others here might have different experiences with these sellers, but this is my experience.

Good luck!

Edited by Bmitchell486

Hello. Email Cynthia and she will be more than happy to help you.

Cool.  Thank you all so much for the info.  Definitely will be keeping my eyes open for the DO scratch and dents.   Thanks for the tip on Coast Gem USA as well, definitely will check it out.

If there are any more good online vendors that anyone knows of let me know!  So much fun to browse and learn.