water&wings

Hello from Reno, Nevada

21 posts in this topic

Hi.  I have 4 tanks and a pond right now.  I love gardening so I of course wanted a pond.  I was sure I would only have plants.  "No fish," I said.  "They die and complicate everything.  So I had a pond and I started worrying about mosquito larva.  So I relented and bought 5 feeder fish at Petsmart.  And they lived.  One day in October, the weather forecasted a hard freeze.  I could not, would not let them freeze.  I had grown attached to a black one which at one point during the summer hopped over the rock separating my stream and pond.  It swam up-stream and showed great spunk.  So I went to Petsmart again and bought a 10 gallon tank, filter, and light ensemble, set it up quickly, and went outside to catch 5 goldfish in the waning light.  I only caught 4, and the black one was one of them.  They spent the winter on my dining room table.  I was hooked.  I enlarged my pond, got 4 koi and several other goldfish-Shubunkins.  There are now 14 fish in my pond.  Unfortunately, the goldfish bug had bitten, and I did not stop there.  Over the next 3 years I acquired a 20 gallon, a 46 gallon, and two 75 gallons.  I struggled with keeping the fancy goldfish alive.  I got on youtube and educated myself as to filteration, feeding, etc.  I told myself when I can keep a Petsmart fancy goldfish alive for a year, I can get more fish.  Well, I have had Puddles, an orange Ryukin, for a year in June, so off I went diving into a new learning curve.  I have 2 Ranchus, 2 butterfly, telescopes, and my Ryukin and a Petsmart oranda.  Plus, I delved into aquascape and have tropical fish in that tank.  Not all is well, and I will not cover that here.  I will go to the correct forum for help with that, but I am very happy to have a place to share my love of Fancies.  I don't socially know anyone who loves goldfish as much as I do, or pets for that matter.  I'm looking forward to learning how to better care for my babies.  Glad I found you all, and look forward to learning much here.

My user name is water&wings.

Welcome! With your interest in goldfish, you'll be a koko-nut soon enough.

Welcome, thanks for telling your story.  :hi

Welcome to Kokos!!!!!

:hi and welcome!  We'd love to see pics of your pond and tanks!!

And, yeah, it's a tricky hobby in that you don't meet many people in real life who loooove goldfish as much as we do here!!  :teehee

:hi

You all have the most beautiful tanks!  I want mine to look like that.  I have bare bottom now, but I just transititioned one to black sand with live plants.  I want to keep an eye on how the fertilizer tabs effect water chemistry before I put Ranchus back into the tank.

You definitely got bit by the bug! Successful indoor fish keeping is a water quality game first and foremost, and we can help you straighten that out :). Welcome to Kokos!

Welcome!!! I'm new here too.  I really loved reading your story. I feel the same -- I've never known anyone who loves goldfish as much as I do, other than people online.  It's super nice to come to this site everyday now and read other people's stories/love/struggles.  Before Koko's, my only other interaction with goldfish lovers was on Instagram.  Do you have an Instagram account? I LOVE pictures. :)

I have tanks -- a 72 and a 29.

I'd love to have a pond someday, but I think it'll be a while before I can allocate money towards that project  :tantrum I know Goldfish LOVE sun and green water! 

I bought a raised pond kit to c how it wud fair and c if i cud manage a pond wasnt too expensive either the kit and the all in one pump/filter just ova 200quid glad i purchased it wudnt b without a pond now

Me either.  I love my pond. I just saw a new baby two days ago.  It's a goldfish.  Each year it seems a new baby goldfish survives and is added to the pack.

Hi & welcome! New babies are always fun :)