Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
•Morgan•

Ph Changing...

Hello everyone! I'm new here, and in the process of cycling my tank for two goldfish I hope to get in the future. When I filled my tank, the Ph was at 7.0. However, the next day it was up to 7.4. I have tested this several times and it is always the same. I understand that when I get my fish, this fluctuation will cause stress everytime I do a water change. I'm wondering how I can keep the Ph constant and what type of buffer I should use? Also, will this affect the beneficial bacteria I'm trying to grow in the cycling process?

Edited by •Morgan•

Have a read through this.
http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/waterfaqs/f/What-Is-Aged-Aquarium-Water.htm

Another advantage of aged water is that the water chemistry is allowed to stabilize. Water delivered to a tap is under pressure, and therefor contains dissolved gases, in particular, CO2. A significant amount of dissolved CO2 will temporarily lower the pH of the water. After standing for a period of time, the pH will rise, sometimes significantly.

Its pretty normal, happens in my tank.
Adding a bubbler that puts more Oxygen (rather then more co2 that you would find in the pipes) will help raise the ph.  So depending how big your tank is you could age water in a bucket over night before using, most people don't bother doing anything honestly

Thank you! The tank is a 40 gallon so it might be difficult to age such large volumes of water for every water change. The tank does have quite a bit of aeration so as long as it won't harm the fish I suppose I'll let it be.

Sometimes I add a pinch of alkaline buffer to each bucket I put in my tank, but that's only because I have it because I used to keep my fish at a higher PH.  Honestly most of the time when their tanks at 7.5 and I pull out 2 buckets, I just dump in 2 buckets that are a 7.0
Otherwise honestly I wouldn't do a thing. 

A lot of people here use a water changing system so there no chance to buffer before adding new water.

Not sure what others on here do. 

I need a clarification. To cycle your tank I assume you filled the tank with water, set up the filter and added some ammonia.  But you seem to imply you then replaced the water, since you said you have done this several times.  Why?

If you put water in your tank and it goes from pH 7.0 to 7.4 and stays there, you have no problem. If it kept increasing to say pH 8.0,  you might need to either buffer your water or do only small water changes. Most people here do weekly water changes of 50% to 80%.  If the difference between the tap water pH and and the tank water pH is no more than 0.5 pH units, the fish will have no problem.

Calamity- I also plan on using a python or similar product when doing water changes but thank you for the suggestion.

shakaho- I am basing my previous results on another tank( I hadn't been too concerned until reading more on stress due to ph swings) and when I had to drain the cycling 40 gallon in order to move it so my second filter would fit. The Ph does remain constant after the slight change, so it shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the help!

But did you add an ammonia source? You won't cycle without one. Letting plain water run will do absolutely nothing without ammonia to encourage biological bacteria growth. You say you have a second tank though? If you have a lot of bio media and it is established, I personally would just seed it over to make an "instant" cycle which would mean it would be fish ready but just check to make sure it stays stable.

Edited by Mikey

Yes, I am adding pure ammonia. My other tank is only a ten gallon, but I have added a small amount of the bio media. I still don't have everything I need for the goldfish, so I don't mind waiting a while for the tank to cycle. :)

Edited by •Morgan•

How long have you been cycling the tank and what are the current ammonia and nitrite readings?

The tank has been cycling for nine days and I the current readings are: ammonia-2ppm and nitrite-0ppm

You should be getting nitrite soon.