Kokos Goldfish Forum
Butterfly

Domestic water softener

Hello all.

I know I am still remiss about posting pictures of my fish.  Just haven't had enough time to get it all together.  Promises, promises, but I will get them on this forum... at some point.

I just came upon a horrible realization.  My whole house is supplied by a domestic water softener (NaCl regeneration).  I have been pulling water from an outside spigot to fill my tank (not softened water).  Honestly, not because I was thinking about the water softener, it is just the closest water source to my tank.

In the winter, I don't think I am going to be able to use that spigot!  There are no bypassed faucets in my house for me to use either.  I tried to find a good answer online, but other than admonitions NOT to use domestically "softened" water, there are no suggestions (I can find) to replenish the Ca and Mg (et al) to the water if that is what must be used.

There is the Seachem product "Replenish" for RO and distilled water and I did find some mention of that here.  Is that a reasonable supplement to my water changes in the winter when I must use my tap?  I hope so.  I have CaCl and can get epsom salt to add to my water but would have to research the ratio and presumable use my TDS meter to get it to a similar hardness of my water.  A LFS also sells Wonder Shells which I read some people on here use.  Would that be a good additive too in the winter?  I am wary about products marketed like this, and would love to know what it is composed of.

The gH of my unsoftened water is 10 degrees (179 ppm).  The gH of my softened water is 0 (but TDS meter agrees with around 179 ppm).  My kH is also around 10 for both.

I will say, I have a betta tank and I use my softened water for it without prior thought.  My last betta lived with us for 2.5 years (and it was I who hastened his death by trying to treat a tear on his fin superinfected with SAP- all my fault but that is a story for another time)  and my current betta is also doing well.  I am a little perplexed, but not going to mess with that at this point.

Thoughts appreciated.

Or maybe Equilibrium would be better as it does not have added NaCl?   But would that matter anyway for goldfish?  I do not have live plants.

I just moved to a city which sends out fully softened water. I use a ph buffer that adds back in the minerals and such that the softening takes out: http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/MalawiBuffer.html. It has been pretty effective for me so far. 

Edited by goldfishgirl82

The GH booster by Greenleaf aquariums is a good product. I've used this for some time. It's more economical than Seachem Equilibrium.

http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquarium-fertilizers-supplements/gh-booster.html

I just buy it in the reclosable bag.

Thanks for the tip on this product. How much do you use per gallon to raise the gH each degree?

The GH booster by Greenleaf aquariums is a good product. I've used this for some time. It's more economical than Seachem Equilibrium.

I'm sure the water softener has a control that allows you to adjust the amount of softening.  I don't soften mine completely.  I don't think goldfish care much about GH anyway.  After all, natural ponds and lakes typically have soft water.

Thanks for the tip on this product. How much do you use per gallon to raise the gH each degree?

I have a 65 gallon tank. My water out of the tap is about 2 dH for GH. When I replace about 80% of the tank water, I mix in 4 TBLS of GH Booster to get the water to about 9 dH for GH.

From beginning to use gH booster (like LisaCGold... and as per her recommendation for plants), I have seen no change in behavior from the fish. I don't think it makes any difference to them. Live plants like the extra minerals, though.