Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Bmitchell486

Relationship between food and wen color?

30 posts in this topic

I've been wondering - what is (or is there) a relationship between a goldfish's food, and the color of the goldfish's wen?  I went back a while and searched for a similar topic in this forum but didn't find one -- so let me know if this has already been discussed.

Does food affect wen color? Specifically, the white wen.  Obviously, if there are color enhancers in the food, it is a factor.  But does algae affect wen color?

I currently have 2 ranchu's, both are "Red and White" and both have red and "white" wen's.  When they were babies, their wens were white and red, but now the white part of their wen is a lemony-yellow.  I've just purchased a tancho ranchu, and I'd like for his white part of his wen (and all fins) to stay pearly white.

Current food:
NLS Goldfish Pellets
Repashy Soilent Green

Bloodworms

Advice is appreciated!

When white fish eat algae, they usually show yellow on the head and at the base of fins.  I've never had a fish with a white wen, but I would not be surprised if  the wen to reflected the head color.

The Soilent Green would be your culprit there, along with any other algae your fish have been munching on. That particular food has been shown time and again to yellow wens. I am not super sure about the NLS Goldfish, but the NLS Thera+A I use doesn't seem to have any effects on color. FBW has no yellowing properties.

Is there a specific reason you want the wen to stay pearly white? Or is it more just aesthetics? 

The yellowing should disappear over time if you would like to switch off the food.  

I feed NLS Thera A and my white fish are kinda yellowish fish. :teehee

CF2736B5-964B-4704-AC45-217F56850580.jpg

My ranchu went from a pearly white wen to this yellowish color. Edna, white matte fish on the bottom, has some yellow undertones but they don't really show in this picture.

This food has some algae and seaweed which as Sharon said will contribute to that effect.

I'm not sure what's out there that will keep your new chu's wen super white. But there's gotta be something if our fish came to us that way! :rofl

:rofl I may be mistaken then! Or maybe I am just lucky. :teehee

:rofl just my experience anyway!

If i fed heavier on any other food i would have zipped it but they get more NLS than anything.

I wonder if it is just age related, honestly. I could see it being advanced by certain things, but I haven't seen too many older fish with strong white tones that haven't yellowed.

I feed NLS Thera A and my white fish are kinda yellowish fish. :teehee

CF2736B5-964B-4704-AC45-217F56850580.jpg

My ranchu went from a pearly white wen to this yellowish color. Edna, white matte fish on the bottom, has some yellow undertones but they don't really show in this picture.

This food has some algae and seaweed which as Sharon said will contribute to that effect.

I'm not sure what's out there that will keep your new chu's wen super white. But there's gotta be something if our fish came to us that way! :rofl

hahaha exactly!  What are they being fed to stay white before I get them!   :lol:

The Soilent Green would be your culprit there, along with any other algae your fish have been munching on. That particular food has been shown time and again to yellow wens. I am not super sure about the NLS Goldfish, but the NLS Thera+A I use doesn't seem to have any effects on color. FBW has no yellowing properties.

Is there a specific reason you want the wen to stay pearly white? Or is it more just aesthetics? 

The yellowing should disappear over time if you would like to switch off the food.  

Yeah, just aesthetics.  But, I feed for healthy fish instead of just looks.  I don't know how my fish would do if I fed them just pellets and bloodworms... they're used to greens :)

Right. I would probably just keep feeding them right rather than worry about a little yellow. Up to you though.

I wonder if it is just age related, honestly. I could see it being advanced by certain things, but I haven't seen too many older fish with strong white tones that haven't yellowed.

Interesting... I bet age is a factor.

One food I avoid if I have a white-on-white fish is Saki-Hikari (purple).  Yellows those whites FAST, in my experience.

This was Fargo.  It was hard to find foods that didn't yellow him, but what worked was Pro-Gold, peas, frozen bloodworms, and VERY rarely brine shrimp. :)

fargoright.jpg

He is SO white! Between Super Green and Saki Hikari my whitish crew doesn't stand a chance, but Fargo was gorgeous!

wow!  I've never ever seen a fish as pearly white as Fargo!!! Stunning!  

And I haven't bought ProGold since I found NLS Goldfish.  If my new one's wen yellows, I'll have to purchase some ProGold again, and try peas instead of soilent green :)  (But we all know it comes down to what the fish like to eat, and what doesn't make them floaty!)  Thanks for the tip!

Fargo is amazing!!  :)  My white oranda has a lot of yellow.  I have had him for 2 months.  He is getting yellower since I have had him which is interesting to find out is related to the high content of algae and seaweed he gets in his diet now.  I love the white with the yellow wen though :rolleyes:

I thought the NLS was contributing to yellowing my fish. Especially because now that Jujubes is in a tank alone and only eating pro-gold, all the yellow s/he had has now turned back  to white. BUT, my lemonhead ECR's  yellow head turned white and as far as pellets go, I feed NLS & NLS A. Seems to me, it does contribute, but maybe just not in all fish?

I thought the NLS was contributing to yellowing my fish. Especially because now that Jujubes is in a tank alone and only eating pro-gold, all the yellow s/he had has now turned back  to white. BUT, my lemonhead ECR's  yellow head turned white and as far as pellets go, I feed NLS & NLS A. Seems to me, it does contribute, but maybe just not in all fish?

Hmm, that's interesting.  I do like lemon heads, but I just want my tancho to remain white/red, without yellow... I guess we'll see how it goes! :) Depending on what the fish likes to eat, maybe I'll feed peas instead of soilent green...

I don't think we have pro golf in Australia. Is there an alternative?

He he he, I mean pro-gold

Does having plants in a tank make a difference do you think?

I thought I would mention: ProGold is not available anymore. The owner of the website that sold it retired around or more than a year ago. Any bags available through EBay or other online retailers are likely too far expired to be of any use.

The closest food I have found so far to ProGold is ShoImpact. It's available on Amazon. It's my current staple and has been since June. I'm almost out of my first container, and it seriously is the first food since ProGold that I have gone through an entire container of.

Edited by ChelseaM

I thought I would mention: ProGold is not available anymore. The owner of the website that sold it retired around or more than a year ago. Any bags available through EBay or other online retailers are likely too far expired to be of any use.

The closest food I have found so far to ProGold is ShoImpact. It's available on Amazon. It's my current staple and has been since June. I'm almost out of my first container, and it seriously is the first food since ProGold that I have gone through an entire container of.

Good to know!  I'd noticed there had not been any activity on his site for a long time.  Luckily I found NLS Goldfish and had stopped ordering ProGold -- I didn't realize they were no longer making it.  Thanks for letting us know!  

I'll have to try ShoImpact -- I already order NLS from amazon, might as well add ShoImpact to the next order :)

That's kind of sad he retired though.  Goldfish Connection was the first site I went to when I decided to buy goldfish, and it's where I learned how to truly take care of them (since I had only kept tropicals, never goldfish).  I think he also co-authored the "Fancy Goldfish" book.  I bought that book, and have also referenced it many times. 

Yep, it is really sad. :( We all loved his med foods on top of it. No more MetroMeds or MediGold either. But he had been running things for a long time and it was time for him to retire.

Yup, Rick deserved to pass that torch :)

Yup, Rick deserved to pass that torch :)

Do u think any one else will hold the torch in the future?