Kokos Goldfish Forum
Millie.

(Possible) Lead pipes and goldfish?

Hello all,

I first decided to keep goldfish almost a year ago and progress has been slow, meaning that I still have no water piggies to call my own :( But in the next couple of months that is going to change as my parents have very kindly decided that they will purchase me some fish before Christmas....(I have expensive fish taste *ahem*) So I have started to cycle my tank in preparation.

Anyway, I let my tank sit for a few days with an airstone and tested the PH, which was just under 9. I also tested my tap water for any discrepancies and it was off the chart of my test kit?

So I looked up the stats of my local water and the PH from the tap should have been low enough to register on the test kit. I'm a little bit concerned that my house might still have lead pipes, would this result in this mysteriously high ph reading?

I live in a flat in an old converted office building, probably circa 1970 and when my boyfriend and I moved in we noticed that  the water tasted different to our old place which was only a few streets away. We also get a bronze coloured sort of sediment under our taps occasionally, is it possible this is rust?

If anyone has any experience in this who knows how we can verify (without calling someone out and spending money) if it is a piping issue, or has any other ideas, it'd be great to know. I assume traces of lead would be dangerous to goldfish health?

I live in Lincolnshire in the UK, and my area is renowned for very hard water as there's lots of limestone in the land, would this be an issue in itself even if the lead pipes are given the all clear?

Thanks in advance :)

Hm. What brand of test kit are you using?

I live in the UK!! and grew up in London! I was always under the impression that lead pipes are better!! most problems arise from NEW copper pipes!...hope this helps!! :-)

Anything other than "calling someone out and spending money" is just guessing and of no value.

Limestone makes your water hard.  Hard water does not harm goldfish, and makes dissolving lead from pipes less likely.  

You might do better to get your parents to pay for water testing and get less expensive fish.

Hm. What brand of test kit are you using?

API Master

Anything other than "calling someone out and spending money" is just guessing and of no value.

Limestone makes your water hard.  Hard water does not harm goldfish, and makes dissolving lead from pipes less likely.  

You might do better to get your parents to pay for water testing and get less expensive fish

I guess you're right, I just wondered if there would be any 'kits' or anything like that to see if there are traces of lead in the water supply.

It's good to hear that the fish will be fine if it is just a case of hard water. Thank you :)

If you're using the high range pH kit and still off the chart, call someone out, I agree. Lead wouldn't concern me if it isn't causing issues in the human residents. Going to your general practitioner or other primary care physician and asking to be tested for lead is simple enough and not hugely expensive. If it is accumulating in your tissue, a much bigger concern, it could do it in your fish. The building isn't old enough I'd actually be concerned about lead pipes, but perhaps the standards lagged in the UK regarding pipe safety. Either way, short of having testing done you're not going to know on that count.

The hardness is a good thing.

Lead is pretty bad for humans. I'd say the council would do a free test if you said you were concerned about ur health and the lead...maybe?

In Australia I'm pretty sure u can get tests that test for lead in old paint on houses.