Kokos Goldfish Forum
yogosans14

Bubble Eyed Goldfish: Why are they so hard to find?

I want one soooo bad but none of my LFS sells them :( I looked online and cant find any either! I guess they are not that popular due to being fragile?

I think it just depends where you are..some places they are everywhere, others they are harder to find. I don't see them too often around here

They injure easily, may be hard to breed, and look sufficiently creepy that few people want them.  If I had a fish store, I wouldn't stock a product like that.  However, I have seen them in a LFS here.

They look like pretty good specimens and the price is modest.  (The bubbles are small enough that they don't even look creepy yet. :D)  Do you know anything about the dealer reputation?  He doesn't guarantee that the fish arrive healthy, just alive.

They look like pretty good specimens and the price is modest.  (The bubbles are small enough that they don't even look creepy yet. :D)  Do you know anything about the dealer reputation?  He doesn't guarantee that the fish arrive healthy, just alive.

I have had good luck with that seller on ebay before. Both goldfish I bought arrived healthy. My boyfriend bought some pea puffers from him about six months prior to my goldfish experience which did not arrive in good shape though -- the shipment got delayed somehow. 

Edited by goldfishgirl82

I don't know if you are in the USA but Ken from Dandy Oranda has bubble eye goldfish in his auctions sometimes. His look decent and don't cost as much as some of the other types.

The aesthetic isn't popular here, I'm afraid. Which is a bummer, because I love them too.

It doesn't seem like you have a choice in the matter if you want a bubble eye. Online is your only option if stores around you don't stock them.

hmm that is tempting, I prefer buying fish from a store itself. Online shipping prices for fish are a pain.

It says free shipping.

hmm that is tempting, I prefer buying fish from a store itself. Online shipping prices for fish are a pain.

It says free shipping.

I did not see that. If I buy it can it be with a red cap Oranda and a fantail temporarily or too risky?

Quarantine!  

Yes that is risky to both new and old fish.  Don't get fish you don't have facilities for. Bubble eyes should only live with others of the same kind.

I've had good luck mixing more delicate types in, but they require hand feeding to make sure they're getting their fair share.

Do NOT buy a fish if you don't have an open quarantine and long term tank space. Trust us - that has cost many people their fish, old and new. We are all anal about it here precisely because many of us, myself included, learned the hard way that proper quarantine, complete with isolated tank equipment, is safest for EVERYONE.

Can bubble eyes live with oranda?

I can't get anymore fish at this stage but I still look around and have seen quite a few in Melbourne Australia area. Oh and I really wanted to buy these gorgeous telescope butterflies I saw too

Edited by Speckles

While bubble eyes can peacefully coexist with other types, it's often advised against. They need such a specific environment that keeping them with others can be difficult. I would likely only keep them with other visually - impaired fish like telescopes and celestials.

If you don't care about the bubbles, you can house a bubble eye with another variety of goldfish.  If you do care about the bubbles, you should house them alone or with others of their kind and nothing in the tank that they can bump into or get caught behind.  

Are u in Australia?

Yep I could have just looked at ur flag... :wall

Are u in Australia?

Yep I could have just looked at ur flag... :wall

:teehee  Thats okay your just human hun :thumbs: