Kokos Goldfish Forum

I did any 80% water change on Friday. Today I checked my parameters n0and for some reason my ammonia levels were at 0.5ppm. I thought my cycle had finished. I've done a 50% followed by an 80% water change. I am really frustrated at myself for this. I will be doing big water changes now for the foreseeable future!

Did you clean your filters aggressively or stir up your substrate? Cycle bumps aren't unusual, and sometimes even a heavy few days of in feeding can cause an ammonia spike, as the bacterial population cannot cope with that volume of waste. I wouldn't be too concerned, just watch your test kit and change the water accordingly. It should settle down fairly quickly :)

Also, did you test your tap recently?

My tap ammonia is 0. I noticed my tank had a trace of ammonia in and I should of taken this as the warning sign it was. This is why I was annoyed at myself. Ive been doing water changes since and it has dropped right down. I will be doing these daily for a while.

What water conditioner do you use?

I was using an aquaone water conditioner but I swapped to prime.

Prime will detoxify up to 1 ppm ammonia so if you test your water and ammonia is only at 0.5, I would double dose Prime and retest in 24 hours.  Give the cycle a chance to process it . . .