Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
misssmountain

Paranoid about apartment inspection!

Hey all,

Not sure if anyone would really have any advice or not, but my building has a unit inspection scheduled on Thursday for smoke detectors and plumbing issues. I live on the 4th floor of a pretty old building, and have never formally mentioned my tank to my building manager, although I've had one here for 1.5+ years now. I'm not sure if they've done a unit inspection since I've had a tank, but even if they have, I started with a 25 gallon and now have a 60, which is a bit of an upgrade if they happened to see the old tank at some point.

I have renters insurance with full coverage and have been assured that pretty much any damage my tank could possibly cause would be covered. My lease has a clause for not allowing water-filled furniture, bot not specifically aquariums, and in fact, on the pet addendum, it just says, "aquariums will be properly maintained and kept free of mold" or something like that. There was a tenant here a while ago who had 2 or 3 bigger tanks, although they were on the first floor. I know another tenant had a bunch of tanks too, but I think they were mostly for reptiles as far as I remember.

About a month ago while I was doing a water change, my building manager came to my door and frantically told me not to use the sink because it was flooding the apartment below me all the way on the FIRST floor. I guess a pipe must have burst or something, but I don't really know if draining the tank caused or triggered it, or if it was just coincidence. But since then I've been super paranoid. I told her I was just hand washing a bunch of dishes and clothes (which isn't totally out of the realm of possibility -- I don't have a dishwasher, after all) and hid my Python in the bathtub in case they needed to access my unit that day for any reason, haha. It was super fun refilling my half-drained 60 gallon with a bucket! LOL. 

Anyway, I've been on edge about my tank lately and I'm not feeling super excited about this inspection. I also have issues with overthinking and paranoia which doesn't help matters, haha. I hope I am home when they stop by so if they need to say anything to me they can just do it right then and there, but I have plans to go out of town early in the afternoon and it says they will stop by anytime between 8 and 5. 

Just curious if anyone has any thoughts on this or ever had an issue in their building before. I don't have my lease handy, but I look it over whenever I'm feeling particularly on edge and there's really nothing that says "no." I think even the water-filled furniture clause doesn't say specifically that they are NOT allowed period, but I don't really remember. 

If there is nothing in the lease that says no aquariums then I can't see why they could say anything about it :idont

If there is nothing in the lease that says no aquariums then I can't see why they could say anything about it :idont

Yeah, right? Unless they wanted to like, make up a rule or something...when I first moved in (nearly 6 years ago) I put out a super cute, small-ish patio table with 2 chairs on the communal balcony. The manager freaked out, and said the lease says you can't have anything on the balconies. I was new to the building and recently out of a horrible roommate situation, and was so happy to finally be on my own that I just kept my head down and just did what they said. A long while later, I looked over my lease and all it says is that you can't have "junk" or "clutter" on the balconies. So legally I think my table could have stayed, but, eh, whatever. Pick your battles, I guess.

My building also allows cats and dogs...used to be up to 25lbs but I have seen bigger dogs here in the past couple of years. The apartment across from mine REEKS of cat pee whenever their screen doors or windows are open...I have to imagine the cat pee could be a bigger issue down the road than a well-maintained aquarium. Although, mold is no joke I suppose. The tenant next to me for a while supposedly had free-roaming bunnies too, which, depending on how well they're trained, could also cause damage. 

Point being, they've been pretty lenient with pets in the past, but I'm still worried. Worst case scenario, I really don't know what I would do!

I understand being worried about anything and everything... I have OCD and anxiety/panic disorders.  I am not sure what the legalities are in the US for leases and pets. 

I guess all you can do at the moment is to make sure that the aquarium looks really well maintained and be there if you can possibly be when they do the inspection.  If they can see that your apartment is in good order, and that you are responsible looking after your aquarium, then it all might just blow over with no repercussions at all. 

In the meantime try to make sure everything is ready, then do something you enjoy to try to take your mind of the inspection.  Do you know any relaxation exercises?  That might help too.

Hope it all goes well for you and they are won over by the cuteness of your finbabies! :hia

Edit: Maybe just be open to suggestions to relocate your aquarium to another part of your unit if they think that there might structurally be an issue.  If they think there is an issue where it is they should be able to suggest a position that would pose less of a structural risk due to the weight of the aquarium.

Edited by Ree

Have your renters insurance handy, possibly your lease even (i am one to get tongue tied when nervous, so if I tried to paraphrase it would just be jibberish :rofl) and like Ree said make sure everything looks in good shape. If you have hard wood, run a quick mop around and under the tank so you can't see any water marks from splashing.

Hope it goes well!

I know it's easier said than done but don't worry til there's something to worry about. :hug

I think the tank should be okay.  Don't mention or draw attention to it unless they ask.  Put the python out of sight, though  :teehee

Edited by Jared

I think the tank should be okay.  Don't mention or draw attention to it unless they ask.  Put the python out of sight, though  :teehee

I agree with him.. :D don't mention anything about the tank... just do make sure that the tank looks good and the floor where it stands..

I'd rather be there though when they inspect just to make sure that if they see something wrong within your apartment, you'll be there first hand to hear them out.. And have you renter's/lease contract handy with you... :)

This also happened to me.. there was an inspection.. But only the maintenance crew inspected.. and apparently they were happy when they saw my tank/GF's..  :D

I guess they were greeted by my GF..  :clapping:

:teehee Hahaha... That's how my inspection went. When the maintenance men came in they went straight to my tank checking out the fish and plants. They totally forgot what they were supposed to do. After about 15 mins of 'tank chatting' they were out of there saying "everything looks good here". It's pretty funny how a cute pudgy goldfish can bring a rough burly man to his knees, to get a better view of course! :fishtank

I live on 2nd floor with a 75 gallon and my lease also says no water beds. (Water filled furniture) I ended up asking if there was a limit on tank sizes and there wasn't. I think if you have your lease and renters insurance ready like fastlane said, you should be fine. I would just not mention it and act normal. If they ask about it then say something, but try not to worry! I understand the paranoia! I have anxiety problems and having a tank this big on 2nd floor still scares me.

Move it to a room they wont need to go into and close the door.  Problem solved.

Edited by Hidr

I'm glad it all went well :D

Thanks for all of the responses, I am feeling much better!

I did look over my lease this morning and see that it says water filled furniture is allowed with proof of a renter's policy covering $100,000, which mine does. So I *think* I should be in the clear, considering my tank is much smaller than a water bed would be! 

It didn't even occur to me that maybe it will just be maintenance-type workers and not necessarily corporate people. I will be taking my dog with me if they don't come by before I leave -- if they leave the door open for even just a few seconds and he notices, he will bolt outside to look for me! Too paranoid to have to think about that all day! Haha. 

My new big worry is if they will come right at 8am -- THAT would be terrible! Too early on my day off! LOL

Oh oops! I read Miss_Goldies post as yours and thought you already had it :rofl Sorry! 

I'm sure it will be fine though :D

It went well, thanks to everyone for reassuring me :)

It was one corporate-y looking guy, and our regular maintenance guy, and at one point the corporate dude was lingering in the living room waiting for the other guy to finish up in the kitchen, so he had to have seen the tank. I kept the lights off so as not to call attention to it too, but yeah, I think everything went okay. One thing I can check off of my "things to worry about" list!

That's wonderful. :)

Great news

Glad it went well!!!!!

I have a 55gal tank in my living room even though my lease says I can't have an aquarium more than 25 gallons. Oops!  At first I sort of lived in fear every time the maintenance staff came by, but no one ever commented and honestly, I think it's the last thing on anyone's mind. 

I'm usually good about obeying rules, but sort of have  a history of breaking rules for irresistible pets. When I lived in China for a year in a single dorm, I took in a stray kitten for the winter and had to smuggle him out under my jacket and hide his litter box in the closet every time there was an inspection. Somehow the dorm managers never found out and I was eventually able to find him a nice forever home with a friend.

Edited by MT28

thats great   everythin was   ok  :thumbup2:   am in  the same situation  ,  am thinking to turn off the lights and  cover the tank with  a dark color blanket  so that looks  like  a  Funiture  :lol:

Edited by elpinacate