Kokos Goldfish Forum
Speckles

Types of ammonia

Hi Speckles, I think the cloudy ammonia has detergent and other additives in it so I don't think it is safe for use in an aquarium.  It is not possible in Australia to get pure ammonia due to terrorist legislation.  When I was cycling my tank I was shown a few options...

1 adding fish food to the tank without fish in it

2 fish in cycling

3 another option suggested was urinating in the tank... apparently you only need a small amount maybe a tablespoon or so...

I first did the fish food option then had to teardown and redo due to disease.  The second time round I did fish in cycling, lots and lots of water changes and had plenty of prime on standby.

Don't know if this helps or not. :hi

Edited by Ree

While the internet says you should not use ammonia with detergent in it because it "won't work," I've never seen evidence to support that.  I have read comments from people who violated that rule and found the foamy stuff worked just fine.  

Unless you have a huge tank, don't pee in it.  Use a cup and then add a tablespoon or two to the tank.

Arrrr yes the legislation...

I can just see myself perched on the edge of the tank :yikes !

I was googling and discovered a product aquasonic bio start that is quite inexpensive and has ammonia in it I think...has anyone heard of it??

It's at tech den

We don't have that product in the US, but it does look interesting. As long as you don't take medicines that taint your pee, I would just use your pee as shakaho prescribes. Otherwise, you'll want to do an internet search on the success of that product.

Edited by LisaCGold