Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fastlane

Tank weight

Hi Koko guys!

I just wanna ask if any members here lives on the 2nd Floor? Or has their aquarium on the 2nd floor of their house? I want to upgrade to a 40g breeder but I am skeptic with the integrity of the floors. I don't want to end up having my aquarium straight down the 1st floor :P I currently have a 29G right now.. I haven't had the chance to ask the maintenance crew or the landlord regarding the capacity of our floor.

Edited by Fastlane

One gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds. Talk to the landlord.

And don't forget about the weight of the tank itself, substrate, etc.  It will weigh 400+ lbs . .. 

I live on the 2nd floor and have a 75 gallon. I asked my landlord and they said they have no restrictions. So far so good! It really freaked me out at first and I even googled about other people having them on 2nd floor. It sounds very rare to have a problem, but then again it is a lot of weight in one spot.

It still makes me kind of nervous, I'm attempting to find an insurance company that will cover any damages.

Thanks y'all for the answers :D

I live on the fourth floor of an old brownstone with a 29 gallon tank that has 20 odd pounds of sand, etc. No problems so far. I would ask the landlord, though, confirm the conversation over email, and then amend the lease ASAP (or during your renewal) to nail it down. #paranoid due to past bad landlords. 

Also, most renter's insurance will cover accidental/crazy water damage (burst pipes, etc) but not floods. I think you could chalk up a tank problem to accidental damage, especially if you have documented permission to have the tank in there from the landlord. 

Edited by QandD

I live on the fourth floor of an old brownstone with a 29 gallon tank that has 20 odd pounds of sand, etc. No problems so far. I would ask the landlord, though, confirm the conversation over email, and then amend the lease ASAP (or during your renewal) to nail it down. #paranoid due to past bad landlords. 

Also, most renter's insurance will cover accidental/crazy water damage (burst pipes, etc) but not floods. I think you could chalk up a tank problem to accidental damage, especially if you have documented permission to have the tank in there from the landlord.

Thank you.. :)