Kokos Goldfish Forum

We are approaching the end of summer so of course my pond looks fantastic!

My 2 ranchu and 2 butterfly teles inhabit it in the warmer months.

20150908_140154.jpg

Chunk and Mario

20150908_115736.jpg

Chunk coming up to make an appearance

70de3336-299c-447e-b1b6-5931167e934f.jpg

Beautiful pond and your fish are gorgeous, love your calico chu :heart

Beautiful pond and fish  :clapping:

Beautiful pond and your fish are gorgeous, love your calico chu :heart

Beautiful pond and fish  :clapping:

Thanks, Jared :)

So pretty! It's a very nice little water garden, though it does make your chus look tiny :D

So pretty! It's a very nice little water garden, though it does make your chus look tiny :D

Nice.  Which stock tank are you using?

Nice.  Which stock tank are you using?

Thanks :)  I don't remember off the top of my head.  I'm pretty sure that you helped me pick it out.  I do remember that it is 110 gallons.

OK.  A Tuff Stuff 110 or one of its clones.  :D  

Your fish have that amazing, vibrant color that they can only get from sunlight, algae and LOTS of space.  Looks like goldfish heaven for those fish!

Love your water garden Mollz! :hi5

And I love CHUUNNNK! :wub:

That is an absolutely great pond!

Your fish have that amazing, vibrant color that they can only get from sunlight, algae and LOTS of space.  Looks like goldfish heaven for those fish!

Thanks, Dee Dee :)  They do seem quite happy in there.  Lots of room and lots of algae and water lettuce roots to nibble on :)

Love your water garden Mollz! :hi5

And I love CHUUNNNK! :wub:

Thanks, Aubz!!!  And  Chunk loooooves you too!

That is an absolutely great pond!

Thanks :)  It's definitely been a work in progress for the past 2 years.

Aww! Chunk! :heart Definitely a good looking pond!

Looks Great :) Do they stay out for winter?

Aww! Chunk! :heart Definitely a good looking pond!

Thanks, Chelsea :)  Merlot is still in there and looking gorgeous.  Unfortunately Ladybug passed away last winter.  It was totally out of the blue, one day fine, the next dead :(  

Looks Great :) Do they stay out for winter?

Thanks :)  I wish they could stay out but it's not deep enough to keep it from freezing solid so they come inside to the 55 gal for the winter.

Aww. RIP little girl. :heart

I am glad Merlot is doing well for you! I think about him a lot.

Looks amazing.

I want to try something like this myself, where did you get the stock tank at and what do you use for filtration?

Molbert, would you like me to tell you how to greatly increase the flow rate through your filter without getting a larger pump?  I just figured this out a few months ago.

Molbert, would you like me to tell you how to greatly increase the flow rate through your filter without getting a larger pump?  I just figured this out a few months ago.

I think Molly would for sure and the rest of us would as well, Sharon!!! :please

I had some fish in a kiddie pool with a filter powered by a Harbor Freight 264.  I noted a poor turnover even after I had just cleaned the prefilter and filter.  The hose (which I reused from another pond) was too long and I figured that was the problem.  I was planning to cut the hose shorter, but, hey, I might want that long piece of hose for something else.  So I decided to replace the 1/2" hose with 1/2" pvc pipe.  I had the challenge of finding a way to attach the pipe to the pump.  With this pump it wasn't too hard.  I found an adapter that fit on the pump so I could put a pipe on it.  I ran the pipe to the  filter inlet and turned the pump on.  The water gushed out. 

7cd6ab7c-9003-4680-b34a-f0e9e277f99d.jpg

This is just a temporary holding pond, so I didn't mind having the pipe"flying above the pond.  I could easily have run the pipe under water to make it look better.

The rate of flow shocked me -- probably 3 times what I had before.   It makes sense though.  At every bend, the internal area of the hose decreases.  Gunk collects at these bottlenecks and further decreases the flow rate.  

I immediately started changing all the other ponds from hose to pipe.  For some pumps I had to try a lot of tricks to get the pipe attached to the pump.  If all else failed, I could attach a short length of hose to the pump and then use a barb fitting HalfSpigotByHalfBarb.png

to attach the hose to a pipe.

Edited by shakaho

Your pond is beautiful!!!!!

Gorgeous, Molly!!  No critters sneak in there and go fishing?  :scared

Looks amazing.

I want to try something like this myself, where did you get the stock tank at and what do you use for filtration?

Thanks :)  I got the stock tank at tractor supply and I followed Sharon's (shakaho) instructions.  It was really quite easy :)

I had some fish in a kiddie pool with a filter powered by a Harbor Freight 264.  I noted a poor turnover even after I had just cleaned the prefilter and filter.  The hose (which I reused from another pond) was too long and I figured that was the problem.  I was planning to cut the hose shorter, but, hey, I might want that long piece of hose for something else.  So I decided to replace the 1/2" hose with 1/2" pvc pipe.  I had the challenge of finding a way to attach the pipe to the pump.  With this pump it wasn't too hard.  I found an adapter that fit on the pump so I could put a pipe on it.  I ran the pipe to the  filter inlet and turned the pump on.  The water gushed out. 

This is just a temporary holding pond, so I didn't mind having the pipe"flying above the pond.  I could easily have run the pipe under water to make it look better.

The rate of flow shocked me -- probably 3 times what I had before.   It makes sense though.  At every bend, the internal area of the hose decreases.  Gunk collects at these bottlenecks and further decreases the flow rate.  

I immediately started changing all the other ponds from hose to pipe.  For some pumps I had to try a lot of tricks to get the pipe attached to the pump.  If all else failed, I could attach a short length of hose to the pump and then use a barb fitting HalfSpigotByHalfBarb.png

Thanks, Sharon!  I'll look into that for next year.  I've only got about a month left of pond season here.

Thanks, Dawn :)

Gorgeous, Molly!!  No critters sneak in there and go fishing?  :scared

Thanks, Lisa.  Nothing has gotten in there.......yet.  I've got those attack dogs to protect my fish, remember?!?!?!  Haha!

Looks amazing.

Thanks :) I got the stock tank at tractor supply and I followed Sharon's (shakaho) instructions. It was really quite easy :)

I had some fish in a kiddie pool with a filter powered by a Harbor Freight 264. I noted a poor turnover even after I had just cleaned the prefilter and filter. The hose (which I reused from another pond) was too long and I figured that was the problem. I was planning to cut the hose shorter, but, hey, I might want that long piece of hose for something else. So I decided to replace the 1/2" hose with 1/2" pvc pipe. I had the challenge of finding a way to attach the pipe to the pump. With this pump it wasn't too hard. I found an adapter that fit on the pump so I could put a pipe on it. I ran the pipe to the filter inlet and turned the pump on. The water gushed out.

This is just a temporary holding pond, so I didn't mind having the pipe"flying above the pond. I could easily have run the pipe under water to make it look better.

The rate of flow shocked me -- probably 3 times what I had before. It makes sense though. At every bend, the internal area of the hose decreases. Gunk collects at these bottlenecks and further decreases the flow rate.

I immediately started changing all the other ponds from hose to pipe. For some pumps I had to try a lot of tricks to get the pipe attached to the pump. If all else failed, I could attach a short length of hose to the pump and then use a barb fitting HalfSpigotByHalfBarb.png

Thanks, Sharon! I'll look into that for next year. I've only got about a month left of pond season here.

Thanks, Dawn :)

Gorgeous, Molly!! No critters sneak in there and go fishing? :scared

Thanks, Lisa. Nothing has gotten in there.......yet. I've got those attack dogs to protect my fish, remember?!?!?! Haha!

If I wanted to do this set up with 2 comet goldfish what would I do about winter?