Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
yubonne

Ammonia in Tap Water Problems

4 posts in this topic

My ammonia readings keep going up and up in my tank despite water changes. Also doesn't look as clear as it once did. Tested the tap water...way higher than normal. My one fish seems fine (swimming and eating normally) had some redness of the tail last week but that's nearly gone. Should I add anything to try to bring the ammonia down? Using just prime with water changes so far.It doesn't seem to be helping much though.  The ammonia reading is fluctuating between 0.50 ppm and 4.0 ppm.  The tap water ammonia is somewhere between 1.0 and 2.0.

Nitrites are 0 and Nitrates are 20 ppm. Using the API tests. 1 fish in 35 gal tank.

No new food, plants, nothing. Don't know what has caused this change other than the higher readings in the tap. The water company usually does their additives in Apr.-May and send out a notice. This soo frustrating!  :wall

Prime doesn't actually take ammonia out the water. Prime detoxifies ammonia (up to 1 ppm in 24 hours) so that it is less harmful for the fish and still available for the bacteria that break it down into nitrites.

What Is your cleaning routine when you do water changes and how often do you do water changes?

Edited by LisaCGold

Weekly water changes 50% or more if it's gunky. Vacuum the bare bottom most of the poo floats so I kind of dip it out daily. Rinse the filters in the tank water. I was wondering if I should use some Amquel or an ammonia filter for the Aqua clear instead? 

Contact the water company about the high level of ammonia in your water.

I note that the ammonia level in your tank goes as high as 4.0 ppm.  Since your tap water has no more than 2 ppm, this means that your tank has not fully cycled. With a cycled tank and a 50% water change using water with 2ppm, The tank would have  zero ammonia before the change and 1ppm ammonia immediately after a water change. This would drop to zero within a few hours.  

How long has this tank been running?

What kind of filter do you use?  What turnover (gallons per hour) does this filter claim to have?  

When a tank has not fully cycled, you should cut back on the amount you feed.  Ammoniain tank water comes from fish food.  Start by cutting the amount of food you give in half.

You can do one of two things to handle the ammonia in the tap:  

1) You can prefilter your tap water before using it for water changes.   This means you set up a container that holds as much water as you will use for a water change and filter that water before you use it.  You can run an aquarium filter in the container, or simply hang a bag of biomedium in the container and put an airstone under it to circulate and aerate the water.

or

2) You can do small frequent  water changes instead of a large weekly change.  A 10% daily change works as well as a 50% weekly change.  Start by vacuuming the bottom of the tank and emptying the dirty water from the filter.   Then just remove enough water to get to 10% of the tank volume.  

Prime does not decrease the amount of ammonia in the tank, but rather converts the ammonia to a fish-safe form that still reads on the ammonia test.  Prime only does this for 48 hours, so you must add prime to the tank every two days to get this effect.