Kokos Goldfish Forum
Butterfly

Cycling new canister filter in the pond

Hello All,

I am in the process of starting a 75 gallon fancy goldfish tank.  I decided to start with a canister filter.  I just got it and would like to start cycling it asap.  Problem is I don't have the tank totally ready yet.

I do have a pond/watergarden.  I do not unfortunately have removable filter material in it.  It is filtered by a packed veggie bog (very well I might add, full sun, no algae, ammonia and nitrite 0).  

Question to ponder: Could I just set up the canister in my pond to start it seeding? The pond has low level particulates (like you can see dust size particles floating by at night along the beam of one of the under water lights).  Good idea?  Bad idea?  There are no current health issues with the fish in my pond.  I don't really want to "gunk up" the new filter sponges, but I'd like to get it going ASAP.

Thoughts?

I don't recommend this action.  Canister filters are not designed for ponds and I have heard reports of expensive filters ruined this way.  Rather get or make the equivalent of one of these little prefilter boxes.  You can easily make one from a small plastic tote.  Get a little Harbor Freight pump pump to put in it,  put your biomedia in the box and put it in your pond.  The fountain is nice in hot weather.  The media will get a little dirty, but it rinses pretty clean and will be ready for your tank in a couple of weeks.

Hello All,

I am in the process of starting a 75 gallon fancy goldfish tank.  I decided to start with a canister filter.  I just got it and would like to start cycling it asap.  Problem is I don't have the tank totally ready yet.

I do have a pond/watergarden.  I do not unfortunately have removable filter material in it.  It is filtered by a packed veggie bog (very well I might add, full sun, no algae, ammonia and nitrite 0).  

Question to ponder: Could I just set up the canister in my pond to start it seeding? The pond has low level particulates (like you can see dust size particles floating by at night along the beam of one of the under water lights).  Good idea?  Bad idea?  There are no current health issues with the fish in my pond.  I don't really want to "gunk up" the new filter sponges, but I'd like to get it going ASAP.

Thoughts?

Good luck on seeding your new CF with beneficial bacteria  :thumbup2:

Thank you so much. :thumbup2:  That's just the info/expertise I needed!  Whew! I'd have been so bummed if I burnt out my new canister.   :no:

Great idea on alternate way to seed my biomedia with my pond!  I can probably do something similar with a plastic bucket and a pump I have on hand. Cool.